aph3x
Re: Xoops Censorship
  • 2010/5/29 10:26

• aph3x

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2004/12/26

Quote:

Nobody is on a hate campaign, because we don't actively call for any actions reg. lCMS. It's actually the opposite

I don't buy that, not one bit. Only reason lmpressCMS name is on bad words is 'cause is formed from devs who left XOOPS and of course you wouldn't want to give users ideas..in case some find that their favorite developers moved to another system. As for the "opposite" ...I'm not quite sure ( English not being my native language) but isn't the opposite of hate ..umm u know ... love? I very much doubt you love lCMS, cause if you do, then there's a funny way of showing it with its name on bad words list.

Just my 1p
Everything I'm not made me everything I am
The Themes

Peekay
  • 2010/5/29 13:15

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I know that banning the 'i' word might seem draconian, but for a very long time posts made on XO about technical issues were lost in a sea of arguments about the management.

I wouldn't want to see that happen again, or see the forum filling up with competitor spam thinly disguised as 'debates'.

I agree with mamba. Xoops.org is a resource for users of Xoops. That objective should be central to any terms regarding the use of the forum.

Every forum in the world has rules. It's not 'censorship' to enforce them.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

trabis
  • 2010/5/29 13:39

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

One thing is the project, other are the people.
I agree with banning and censorship of any user of topic that are going against Xoops Terms of Service. For example, if someone comes here to promote icms, wordpress, drupal or an icms, wordpress or drupal product then it is going against the TOC.

I also agree that at the time that the fork was created, censorship was the easiest and faster solution to calm down the foruns.

- At the current time, moderation will be enough.
- Both projects envolved in diferent directions and developers have already made their choices (I did).
- From time to time we see users that need to mention icms, or link to a Xoops module inside their repository. They are trying to help and they can't.
- I'm also a icms user/follower and when you censor icms I feel censored as well.

I smell fear in censorship, Xoops has nothing to fear, Xoops is better.

bjuti
  • 2010/5/31 9:53

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Quote:
And ensuring that XOOPS will not be used to promote somebody's else projects, especially when the projects have been created as a competitor to XOOPS.

What's wrong in competition? That's the thing that moving up the world.

Censorship is something that someone do when he is in state of fear.

Besides that, there is nothing wrong in i-c-m-s. Live and let live. We're just two tribes speaking mostly the same language. We should be friends.

Or maybe this is the begining of The Great Firewall of Xoops?

Mamba
  • 2010/5/31 10:45

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Censorship is something that someone do when he is in state of fear.

Not at all! In our case it is just a consequence of a spamming behavior.

Originally, ICMS was not banned at all here, as you can see from this post from April 2008:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=286106#forumpost286106

But we've realized that ICMS people were here to promote ICMS, to lure our users and developers, and to cause trouble by "throwing more wood to the fire":

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=286178#forumpost286178

First, we've edited the posts.

When this didn't stop, we've banned the users.

But they kept coming back - under different names. So finally we had to act and and we've asked them to leave us alone, and censored ICMS name:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=286220#forumpost286220

As I said before: the only thing what we did was to censor the name due to past violations of our Terms of Use. As we did and will do with any other spam. Nobody can be "above the law". Spam is a spam, regardless of what you promote.

And these few links above are just the tip of the iceberg. You've been here since 2009 so you don't know the whole story, but as you can see from few other comments in this thread, there are other people who don't want to go back to the fights and useless discussions we had in the past.

If the situation changes in the future, we will be glad to re-evaluate it, but recent posts on ICMS and outside of ICMS don't justify it at the moment.

Again, this Website is dedicated to support and promote XOOPS, and we need to stay focused. There are very important releases coming up, there is TONS of work to be done for XOOPS, and we are better off if we focus on making XOOPS the best it can be instead of worrying about other projects.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

luciorota
  • 2010/5/31 13:25

• luciorota

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/4/20

Please... Let's commit
it's the only way we have to grow on...

no more blah blah and misunderstand...

Please... show us the way... the right way... next milestones...

I'm working on:
xoops editors
xoops new filemanager
xoops icon system...

You are working on???

TOGETHER WE CAN, ALONE NOT
Rota Lucio
lucio.rota@gmail.com;
mobile: +39 338 9966321

bjuti
  • 2010/5/31 14:07

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Quote:
Not at all! In our case it is just a consequence of a spamming behavior.

Originally, ICMS was not banned at all here, as you can see from this post from April 2008:

I understand. Now icms have it's own way, so you can delete word bans.

vamptrix
  • 2010/6/1 9:59

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

I also find that you can remove them, Michael. It might have been a right thing to do, and it was undoubtedly a good thing to do, but that time is over.

XOOPS and ICMS have parted and all the flaming and trolls have stopped, so it's time to remove them from our banned words. It'll only give people questions about why it's banned and make them delve deeper into XOOPS history, which might not be such a good idea. ;)

I don't think now that we should remove them, after seeing some things (like on Twitter). After seeing what has been posted on this forum by them over the course of year, it seems kinda dumb to remove it. It may have stopped now, but I still see flames and trolls from time to time coming from that side, though not only on x.org (it's not that much more here, because they'll get banned quickly), but rather on other social media like Facebook or Twitter. I don't know wheter it's good to keep it banned, but it's certainly not better to unban them.
I used to use this account, but no longer.

Login

Who's Online

292 user(s) are online (192 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 292

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits