wcrwcr
Re: AMS 3.0 combine with News 1.64. Give your opinion.
  • 2010/2/11 15:43

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Hi mamba

Quote:
Unless they are very specialized and doing something totally different from each other, we should aim for one "super News" module. We have too many different modules that are too similar and create a total confusion among users, and a lot of problems for our support people.

Partially agree

but since novaSmart is thinking on a cloneable mod, so maybe 100% agree

I´ll try to explain: thinking about people that wants a whole mod to handle a specific kind of publishing...

melgert
  • 2010/2/11 16:33

• melgert

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/7/5 2

I agree with Mamba. 3 modules doing pretty much the same isn't a good idea. lets merge news and AMS. Lets implement the extras from AMS into News.

If someone wants to have less options, they can check the preferences and activate or de-activate settings needed or not.

I'm using news right now but tried AMS with every new version. What I like in AMS is the Spotlight Feature, the way attachments are handled (much prettier as in news).

jobrazo
  • 2010/2/11 19:25

• jobrazo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/9/26

The beautiful thing about XOOPS is the number of modules. Something for every one.
That is what makes XOOPS a rich CMS.

But it also makes XOOPS poor.
If you use a certain module you are “stuck” with it. If development stops you get a module that is no longer updated and gets outdated.
If you grow out of a module, too many or too few options it’s a problem to convert and not to loose information.

AMS and News share a similar background but have gone a separate way.
There is a major difference in size, and a smaller one in options.

I believe in a “merger” that starts with getting AMS and News using a similar table structure and a conversion tool from one to the other.
That way we the users can choose and change our decision if needed.

When this first merger is a success a future common build of a More Advanced News System that has al the goodies of both modules combined certainly gets my vote.

NovaSmart
  • 2010/2/12 4:37

• NovaSmart

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/1 2

After reading all the comments, looks like I should take middle way, by keeping AMS separately but slowly adding News features.

In whole duration I take over AMS development; when I'm adding new features on AMS, I keep looking at News to make sure I didn't break the database structure, so I could use any subroutine or code from News with minor rework. Leveraging on other opensource code always the best method since we have very limited time.

I didn't familiar with 'super' spotlight. I should get my hand dirty on jQuery soon, so i could understand it and decide its ok to implemet it or not.

I'm fan of Ajax, but for AMS, I'll slowly add-in Ajax on editor/submit and admin but not for article/anonymous view for SEO sake. But that plan should be on AMS 4.

acegamer
  • 2010/2/17 18:27

• acegamer

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/7/11

cloneabilty would be great i was looking forward for that! :o :(

bjuti
  • 2010/2/17 19:52

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

My opinion is that these two modules should be merged in to onw, News module 2.0. The module should be easy to update from previous versions of News module and to have features from AMS3 included.

Also the News 2.0 should have option for import from AMS.

The reason of Name and continuity is that more people using News module then AMS.

Beside all common features, News 2.0 could have spotlight made with jquery for featured news, and user to choose order of spotlighted news.

I guess that AMS 3 have SEF url's, so that was the main lack of News module.

With one power dynamic content module, XOOPS will be literally the best CMS (beside awful comment system).

For developers: check out WP and Joomla features and borrow something from them. :)

wcrwcr
  • 2010/2/17 21:02

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Quote:
Beside all common features, News 2.0 could have spotlight made with jquery for featured news, and user to choose order of spotlighted news.

Agree, please take a look at my first post in the thread

Quote:
check out WP and Joomla features and borrow something from them
especially in WP the featured post that works like a spotlight

Mazarin
  • 2010/2/17 21:58

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

I'm not too sure it's a good idea to merge the two. That would leave us with only one news module, and I think at least some options are needed.

GreenFlatDog

If merging is the way forward then, for me, it must be cloneable with as many features as possible configurable (on/off) that way we can achieve several different objectives on the same site.

I'm using News and AMS on my site because because I actually need a multi-contributor news section with only a few categories but with a simple input editor form (which News did for me) and a document management section with lots of complicated permissions and a full-on wysiwyg editor (which AMS provided). I tried to use just one but couldn't work out how to provide alternative editors and split the automatic menus up to simulate separate News and Documents sections.

NovaSmart
  • 2010/3/1 7:45

• NovaSmart

• Module Developer

• Since: 2007/6/1 2

@ GreenFlatDog
Your wish will be granted on AMS 3.5. It is cloneable, so you can put identical AMS module in /modules/new or /modules/AMS or /modules/anything. You can have multiple AMS in 1 XOOPS installation.

Login

Who's Online

214 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 214

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits