Mamba
XOOPS Module Packs for 2010
  • 2010/1/18 16:53

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I would like to update the XOOPS Module Packs with current modules, and potentially replace some of the older modules that are not maintained anymore, with different ones. All the modules should work with XOOPS 2.4.x

Some of the modules in the various Module Packs is as follow:
Resized Image

Other new modules to consider to add or use as replacement:

XoopsCare
SiteMap
xLanguage
TadRSS
Tad_Gallery
XoopsPoll or Umfrage?
liaise --> xForms
SmartFAQ - Article
SmartSection --> Publisher
kShop --> Oledrion

What other modules should we include?

Anonymous
Re: XOOPS Module Packs for 2010
  • 2010/1/18 19:00

• Anonymous

• Since:

Upgrading the modulepacks is a great initiative. At xoops.nl we are busy translating modules and updating our filebase, which leads to some discussion about what the best standard modules are. So I'll follow this thread with interest!

I would suggest to add the Xuups modules Defacer and My tabs to the facil pack. I use them a lot as they extend creative possibilitys to play with themes and the look and feel of a site.

Why is the contact module just part of the facil pack? In my opinion a contact module is a basic feature you need for all sites!

Mamba
  • 2010/1/18 20:03

• Mamba

"Facil" is a Module Pack that was created by the Brazilian team, and is here only for a reference.

Reg. Contact, we'll most probably switch to the new xForms, and replace with it Liaise.

Anonymous
  • 2010/1/18 20:33

• Anonymous

• Since:

Good post..... we need to review these packs every so often.

I have thought for some time that xoopscare should ship with the core. Very underrated module which works seamlessly in the background keeping the site and database in good order.

Burning
  • 2010/1/18 21:22

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi'

Very important to order modules. Personaly, I would prefer an updated repository (I mean without old modules conflicting with last XOOPS version).
I know that is a very difficult task... but to create Pack is not more simple.

First, because Packs are made for newbies, it is strictly forbidden to propose modules with bugs. That's why from your list, I would keep only 5 or 6 modules.

Second dificulty, are we sure that this classification is the good one ? If I well undestand :
• Personal pack is for blogs
• Community pack is for a web2 use (with all the meanings that can cover)
• Intranet... hmmm personnaly I have never created such application, I do not really know its characteristics
• Company pack is for showcase sites
• ecommerce to make money
• facil pack includes modules not for their function but for ease of use

Third, a lot of modules perform the same function or are very closed. Wich criteria dominate :
• the frequency of updates
• popularity (and how to measure it...)
• ... how much modules per pack, is there a limit ?

... no so easy to do

Because we do not have yet an updated repository, it is very complicated to do the best packs.
In such conditions, and as Mamba ask, opinion of a lot users (confirmed first, but newbies are welcome because those packs are for them), is necessary.
A choice has to be made between all XOOPS modules : I believe that there is no better criteria than Xoopsers experience.

So, I begin : my point of view (necessarily subjective, as everyone I do not know all XOOPS modules)

wishcraft

I think multisite should be shipped with commerical and intranet & company.. There is little use for it on small sites but on the bigger sites it is definably a want and need for the site for SEO and delegation.

For personal VidShop and VJ Mixes should be included -- these have been written for the personal site and as blue room examples of modules.

I have been working on the Norwegian package of content, that module is a mess.. I wouldn't package it at all.. Needs to be rewritten - in the standard packaging of it, it has no class objectivity it is so old..

redheadedrod

I have been wondering too if there might be a desire to build a wiki that is SOLELY for the use of documenting modules available for xoops.

In this wiki you would list the modules similar how the file repository is and with the wiki actually contain directions on how to use each module. And any special instructions if necessary for installation etc.

This wiki could also contain directions on how to install modules for newbies as well as how to recover from bad module installs etc.

Basically a Module Usage Wiki that would deal with all the modules available for Xoops. That way you don't have to download the modules to find out how to use them and people can look it over to see if it looks like it will do what they want. Excerpts from the modules could be included if there are instructions or helpful stuff within the modules.

You could even potentially build it into a complete module repository in its self where someone can go to the modules directly through the expanding tree of the Wiki and compare modules, have links for the different releases for each module etc.

I think it would me a scalable system that would make modules much easier to find and use.

I know as a relatively new user I get lost alot and have no clue what I am looking for to do this or that.

Rodney

Mamba
  • 2010/1/19 1:18

• Mamba

We definitely have to clean up the Wiki and FAQ.

If anybody wants to help, please join the Documentation Team

We are also looking at Dokuwiki to accomplish what you're looking for.

However, the first step is to have an active Documentation team. So anybody who would like to help, please join

bumciach
  • 2010/1/19 11:30

• bumciach

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/6/25

Quote:

Burning wrote:
Intranet... hmmm personnaly I have never created such application, I do not really know its characteristics

I'm working on XOOPS as intranet solutions.
First of all, I suffer a lack of productive tool for managing groups and privileges. I use the Group Manager by kaotik&GIBA, because the large number of groups and users management by core admin module is very cumbersome.
Although the Group Manager is old and may not be perfect, there is no better yet.

wishcraft

I think TAG 2.3 RC should be bundled out of RC with a bug like the multiple plugin loading bug issue with it code...

This will encourage tagging to be used.

Login

Who's Online

227 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 227

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits