weeramon
Re: Learning from others: Wordpress through the eyes of a xoops developer
  • 2009/12/29 3:18

• weeramon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/12/13

Despite using XOOPS since 2 years and having learned a lot especially by fixing all the bugs on several modules.

Thanks to the forums ( 70% info I read in the xoops.org forum )
I would like to state one simple message for all proactive XOOPS community members and developers.

"There is simply one difference between Wordpress and Xoops, not in a technical but in a matter of reputation and clarity"

If XOOPS would be the "real thing" or the system which has the edge over others, then there simply would not be all these derivatives like XCL, Impress etc.

You will not have a subsidy of Wordpress at any time. For at least the next 5 years or not at all.

There are three factors why Wordpress has gained in popularity and XOOPS will most probably not.

1) Simply the better Name.

2) like mentioned before User friendly

3) Right from the start a classic theme

Xoops will and does regain some ground due to the new theme and more order on the site.
which is now on xoops.org ( hopefully no one gets the idea to change it soon )

But it will only regain ground on their derivatives like Impress CMS, XOOPS Cube and others but not on Wordpress.

That would definitely need a smart person who gets the essence and leads all others into the right direction.

Probably even a reunification will all the off springs.

"Just some food for thought, it is only 40% a technical issue"

Mamba
  • 2009/12/29 5:43

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Xoops will and does regain some ground due to the new theme and more order on the site, which is now on xoops.org ( hopefully no one gets the idea to change it soon )

I'm glad to hear that you like the Website. In 2010 we'll be doing more improvements to the site but using the current theme, so it only gets better

djynnius
  • 2009/12/29 11:28

• djynnius

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/21

Interesting conversation overall. XOOPS oh XOOPS!!! I have checked out wordpress and i would stick with XOOPS. The thing now is making XOOPS attractive to the first timer. the community has done great if you ask me and those of us here are hooked.

What might help to improve popularity is probably a beginers version for final stable releases. This could include:

1. a real hip theme, u know with jQuery and all
2. as has been stated a content module
3. the WYSIWYG editor
4. a real nice ad of the beginer version

but for the rest I think XOOPS dev should stay as it is. XOOPS is doing great and i wouldnt swap it for Wordpress which by the way i consider a fantastic initiative almost as good as XOOPS.

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits