trabis
English and French ISO transalation for 2.4.x?
  • 2009/12/19 10:15

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

I need English and French ISO translations for a multilanguage site that is already using Portuguese and Spanish.

Does anyone have it done? It would save me a lot of time, thanks!

Burning
Re: English and French ISO transalation for 2.4.x?
  • 2009/12/19 10:23

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi'

French translations are on french sourceforge :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xfr/files/

Language for XOOPS 2.4.2 are "false UTF8", true ISO. I mean accented characters have been replaced by html characters.

trabis
  • 2009/12/19 10:30

• trabis

• Core Developer

Hi Burning, I have been there yesterday but the version I downloaded says
define('_CHARSET','UTF-8');
in global.php.
I need one using
define('_CHARSET', 'ISO-8859-1');

Is it just a question of changing this charset define?
If not, can you point me a direct link? Thanks.

Burning
  • 2009/12/19 10:37

• Burning

• Theme Designer

Quote:
Is it just a question of changing this charset define?

That's right, just modify information in global.php and do not change anything else.

By replacing accented characters by html charcaters translators (Kris & Dugris) allows to users to use same language files for ISO site as well for an UTF-8 site.

I believe Kris or Ghia could confirm that point.

trabis
  • 2009/12/19 10:52

• trabis

• Core Developer

Confirmed! Works just fine and is good idea!
Did the same for english because english is pretty non accentuated.

Thanks for your time!

ghia
  • 2009/12/19 11:04

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
By replacing accented characters by html charcaters translators (Kris & Dugris) allows to users to use same language files for ISO site as well for an UTF-8 site.
It doesn't work for all the files. eg mail templates.
There you have to do the conversion yourself by eg Notepad++.

The html encoding is making all texts nearly unreadable, because mosttimes numerical encoding is used (which may lead to translation errors with some character sets) and has resemblence with the stone age of computing, where computers used hexadecimal.

The only proper way for language files would be by supplying two sets of files, one in an utf directory and with UTF-8 (without BOM) encoding for use on UTF-8 websites with UTF-8 databases and one in an iso directory in ansi encoding for use with Latin1 databases and sites with ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15.
A full module (or core) archive should have the UTF-8 files inside and provide separatly the two directories of the language file, for making an overwrite to the desired format as needed.
An example is this Dutch translation of IndexScan.

Burning
  • 2009/12/19 11:15

• Burning

• Theme Designer

Thanks Ghia, I hope an original package (with accented characters) remains somewhere. Otherwise, there be some Search / Replace to do

trabis
Re: English and French ISO translation for 2.4.x?
  • 2010/1/5 1:03

• trabis

• Core Developer

Quote:

ghia wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't work for all the files. eg mail templates.
There you have to do the conversion yourself by eg Notepad++.

The html encoding is making all texts nearly unreadable, because mosttimes numerical encoding is used (which may lead to translation errors with some character sets) and has resemblence with the stone age of computing, where computers used hexadecimal.

The only proper way for language files would be by supplying two sets of files, one in an utf directory and with UTF-8 (without BOM) encoding for use on UTF-8 websites with UTF-8 databases and one in an iso directory in ansi encoding for use with Latin1 databases and sites with ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15.
A full module (or core) archive should have the UTF-8 files inside and provide separatly the two directories of the language file, for making an overwrite to the desired format as needed.
An example is this Dutch translation of IndexScan.

This translation method does not work with 2.4.3 because it will encode the already encoded characters!
I advise the French team to follow Ghia sugestion and provide a true UTF-8 and/or ISO-8859-1 translation.

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits