badcase
Re: Installer Fails To Go To Step 6
  • 2009/8/13 22:37

• badcase

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/1 1

well i just found out this new host uses the cgi version of php which i have never worked with before and im guessin it is messing everything up it seems even doing a simple phpinfo() is now a tedious task.

badcase
  • 2009/8/14 0:02

• badcase

• Just popping in

ok got it working now for those that use PowWeb as there host you need to create a folder in your accounts root directory named "phpsessions" and then edit your php.ini by adding the line
session.save_path = "/home/users/web/xxxx/pow.xxxxx/htdocs/phpsessions"
replacing the path with yours

Mamba
  • 2009/8/14 0:07

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue!!!

And thank you for reporting back, and sharing the solution.

badcase
  • 2009/8/20 12:42

• badcase

• Just popping in

whoops that should be
session.save_path = "/home/users/web/xxxx/pow.xxxxx/phpsessions"
you want it in a non web accessible directory not in your htdocs directory :P

Sikandar
  • 2009/11/12 14:26

• Sikandar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/19

Hi,
What are the settings we need to do in order to XOOPS working on a shared hosting as we can't make changes in php file. I will appreciate assistance.

thanks

ghia
  • 2009/11/13 0:51

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
we can't make changes in php file
What do you mean by that?
Did you set the write permissions for the required directories and files as stated in the release notes?

Sikandar
  • 2009/11/13 7:36

• Sikandar

• Just popping in

Hi,
Thanks for reply. Let me explain my problem in more detail. On step 5 Database connection when I am trying to move to step 6 it is not going to 6 but refreshing the same page. I talked to hosting guys and they came up with the following,

"We would like to inform you that while running applications like Xoops, there is a need to make a lot of changes and tweak settings to the way the servers are currently configured and its security settings. Unfortunately, as of now making such changes on the server would affect the other domains and sites running on the same shared server. For running Applications such as Xoops, you will need sign up for a dedicated server. "

I want to know what kind of changes XOOPS need to be running as my one site is already running using php, mysql, asp on the same hosting.

Will appreciate your assistance. thanks

Mamba
  • 2009/11/13 7:54

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I want to know what kind of changes XOOPS need to be running as my one site is already running using php, mysql, asp on the same hosting.

I am not aware of any changes that need to be done to run XOOPS. There are no problems running XOOPS on www.SurpassHosting.com (hosting our XOOPS site: www.xoops.org), www.1and1.com, or www.IPowerWeb.com, and several others.

Maybe you need to change your Host company.

BTW - are you running XOOPS on Linux or Windows host?

ghia
  • 2009/11/13 9:08

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
For running Applications such as Xoops, you will need sign up for a dedicated server.
Such statements make me belief, the hoster is only interested in HTML paged sites. Look out for another one. Even if you get your site installed, you may run into other trouble later.

PS In this step also the sessions can fail. Check if the use of sessions in PHP requires additional mesures, such as eg creating a directory.

Sikandar
  • 2009/11/13 13:47

• Sikandar

• Just popping in

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. Well I am using Windows hosting as my other site has asp code as well for that I need to stay with windows. I remember was able to setup old version of XOOPS on the same hosting without problem it was I think 2.1 but after this version it is not allowing. No idea how to solve this problem...

Thanks

Login

Who's Online

120 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 120

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits