mlapierre
Newbie - Need Help - Suffering from Info overload
  • 2009/11/4 0:52

• mlapierre

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/11/2

First, a word of thanks to "skenow" who posted the series on starting a new XOOPS site. After reading a lot of posts, etc, my head was spinning and I was totally confused. This has helped clarify the structure and the process a bit.

Here's my situation:

I've been trying to set up a site on Geo & Chevy Trackers and Suzuki Sidekicks that can be seen @ http://www.tracker-sidekickhq.com. It's really very basic and still needs a lot of work.

With all the publicity out there on the web, etc. I started out with Wordpress and managed to get set up. At first glance, it seems fairly intuitive, but I've now reached a point where I'm wondering if that was the right decision.

Before going further, I decided to check out XOOPS again (I've looked at it a few times but it's always seemed a bit daunting). This time I decided to look deeper into the site and forums.

All the info & technical language has my head spinning to the point where I seem to be going round in circles, and finding things intimidating.

My initial question is:

- Is it possible for someone who has limited techie knowledge to get started using XOOPS within a reasonable time frame without having to take the equivalent of a masters or Phd degree in advanced cybernetics?

As background, I know the rudiments of HTML, know my way around the cpanel and ftp, and have installed simple scripts in the past, but that's pretty much where it stops.

The most important point though is the following.

One of my primary objectives would be to have a photo gallery where registered users can upload photos with captions or comments. Is it possible to do this within Xoops?

A final question would be - Is it really all that bad to install XOOPS from Fantastico and then tweak it to proper security levels?

Any help would be really appreciated 'cause I'm kinda overwhelmed right now.

ghia
Re: Newbie - Need Help - Suffering from Info overload
  • 2009/11/4 8:05

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
- Is it possible for someone who has limited techie knowledge to get started using XOOPS within a reasonable time frame without having to take the equivalent of a masters or Phd degree in advanced cybernetics?
As background, I know the rudiments of HTML, know my way around the cpanel and ftp, and have installed simple scripts in the past, but that's pretty much where it stops.
I think many people started a site with less knowledge than that. The skenow article describes a lot of the facets of having a site. Not all of them are to be needed in depth. It is a bit like Word documents, a wealth of features and the average user uses only 3% of it.
For installation you can refer to this new manual.
Quote:
One of my primary objectives would be to have a photo gallery where registered users can upload photos with captions or comments. Is it possible to do this within Xoops?
There are several photogaleries for XOOPS, but I'm not sure for the uploading possibilities for the users.
From XcGal (based on Coppermine), I know users can have private albums.
Quote:
A final question would be - Is it really all that bad to install XOOPS from Fantastico and then tweak it to proper security levels?
The problem with Fantastico is that the version on the server is not updated and installs (sometimes very) old versions.
You can always try installing XOOPS on your local PC with eg XAMPP. That is also very handy for testing modules and exploring their possibilities.
For starting I would propose you to use V2.3.3, which is more stable, in attend to the upcoming 2.4.1

mlapierre
Re: Newbie - Need Help - Suffering from Info overload
  • 2009/11/5 0:41

• mlapierre

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/11/2

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I guess, as a first step, I'll have a look at the gallery software to see what I can do and then take it from there.

Make it a great day!

Login

Who's Online

494 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 494

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits