anlace
Access Issues within a 2.0.7 Installation
  • 2009/10/8 18:33

• anlace

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/27

Greetings,

I have been asked to repair a XOOPS installation athttp://www.lrsdatabase.com/. I know very little about XOOPS in particular but follow direction well and am comfortable working in a command line, scripting (etc) environment.

I installed XOOPS in this web site in 2004, it's the only XOOPS install I have ever done. I no longer retain any records of that installation and have done very little to it except an occasional SQL table repair. The XOOPS version is 2.0.7.

The modules folder contains the folders - contact, multiMenu, mydownloads, mylinks, newbb, news, sections, system, uservisit, xoopsfaq, xoopsheadline, xoopsmembers, xoopspartners, and xoopspoll.

The problems:

Webmaster access has been "deleted" or it's no longer accessible so there is no way to use the web-based webmaster/admin pages to administer the site.

"Admin" access was initially set up to be able to administer users and post articles. For the user admin this is no longer possible, all of the module icons have vanished.

It is no longer possible to post articles to the site using the current users that have permission to do so.

I can assess the SQL database with phpMyAdmin and followed, or tried to follow, directions in a number of posts from these forums to restore webmaster access. Either the 2.0.7 database structure is different or I am misunderstanding the info. Please bear with me while I muddle through.

Questions for possible solutions:

Is it possible to create a new webmaster user with full permissions to the site via the database only?

Is it possible to change permissions for a current user for webmaster access via the database?
For example give the user admin full webmaster access until the site has been repaired. I have already tried this approach using info from forum posts without any luck so far. In fact, though I hate to admit it, I suspect that's what caused the module icons for the user admin to become inaccessible.

Would a reinstall of XOOPS 2.0.7 or an upgrade to a more current version correct the problem and still keep the modifications, installed modules, and database intact?

I intend to upgrade to the most current release of 2.0.x if and when I can get webmaster access. I am limited by the amount of time I can put into this project, the fastest and most reliable solution is my goal here.

Thanks for any and all useful suggestions!

anlace
Re: Access Issues within a 2.0.7 Installation
  • 2009/10/8 21:02

• anlace

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/27

Ok, this worked to grant administrative access (thank goodness). Fromhttps://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=48364&forum=27:

Quote:
senadmesic its strange but for back yourself to webmasters group just via phpmyadmin run this query:
Quote:
Quote: INSERT INTO `xoops_groups_users_link` ( `linkid` , `groupid` , `uid` ) VALUES ( '12345', '1', '1' );

Note: 1- if your 'uid' is not '1' change it to yours. 2- if your db perfix is not "xoops" change it to yours.

I would still very much like to get opinions as to whether or not it's possible to upgrade without losing data. I can't seem to find a definitive answer so I am assuming that it's not possible.

ghia
Re: Access Issues within a 2.0.7 Installation
  • 2009/10/8 21:42

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

In principle you can upgrade without loosing your content.
But it will not repair things, such as broken permissions etc.

Before doing anything make sure you have a full backup (files + database).

2.0.7 is a little old, but the current upgrade procedure is suitable to do it (see release notes).

You can also restore your current website to your home PC by installing a webserver like XAMPP. In this way you could test the upgrade of the core and the modules.

Login

Who's Online

65 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 65

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits