Cozzie
redirecting existing users to complete their profiles
  • 2009/10/1 2:19

• Cozzie

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/7/13

Hi there

Having just upgraded to 2.3.3 I'm loving the profile modules and I'm using it to have new members fill-in lots profile fields when they register (city, job, school, age etc.).

But the thing is I've got loads of old members for whom all these fields are blank and they are unlikely to complete them unless required to.

So I want to redirect users who have not completed these fields to the edituser.php page when they login.

Can anyone think of a way to do this? Is it possible to check at login if the user has completed the fields (or perhaps just check one specific field) and if not redirect them to edituser.php?

It would be great for the site if I can get as many users as possible to complete their profile information

thanks guys!

deka87
Re: redirecting existing users to complete their profiles
  • 2009/10/1 14:33

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

i have got a similar problem. i want to encourage users to fill in additional fields. but i came up with another solution. lets say you've got 20 fields to fill out. you can count the nunmber of fields that are filled out by a user i.e. count those !='' and then show something like "58% of your profile is complete. Please complete missing fields now." maybe this would be helpful for you.

Cozzie
  • 2009/10/2 9:31

• Cozzie

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/7/13

Hi deka

That sounds like a good way of doing it, if the other way is not really possible, do you know how exactly to implement it?

Cheers

Mazarin
  • 2009/10/2 11:29

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

I think those two are just different versions of the same problem. I would guess what is required is a hack in the user.php file that includes a simple query to the user table in the db and then a check to see if a field/number of fields are filled out, if yes->proceed, if not->redirect to edituser.php.

Hmmm, thinking about it, I might do this to one of my own sites when I have the time. Shouldn't take long to do it (unless I am wrong of course, but then I hope someone corrects me in this thread )

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits