biomech
Re: Wanted - help updating site to Xoops 2.3
  • 2009/8/26 9:33

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/25

Thanks again for your support.

I think my mainfile.php is different because I am upgrading from 2.2.4. My mainfile.php doesn't have XOOPS_PATH and XOOPS_VAR_PATH.

Also, there is no xoops_data directory in my file hierarchy - again I think because its version 2.2.4.

I DID manage to solve the blank page problem now that I changed the cache directory to 0777 - thank you very much for that. The backup site now works normally and I am proceeding with the upgrade. I downloaded the full version of 2.3.3 fromhttps://xoops.org/modules/core/ and am following the directions in the "release_notes.txt" file under "Upgrading from XOOPS 2.0.* above 2.0.14 and 2.2.* (using the full package)". Step 2 of this tells me to delete some files, including htdocs/install/, htdocs/cache/, htdocs/extras/, htdocs/template_c/ and htdocs/uploads/. None of these directories exist in the directory hierarchy that I downloaded above. So I am proceeding in the hope that since they don't exist, they don't need to be deleted, but I'm wondering why the instructions would specify to delete them if they don't exist in the htdocs directory in the first place...

Thanks,

-b-

ghia
  • 2009/8/26 9:52

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
Any ideas why this is happening?

You must change the paths and the URL by adding /0-test.
You must empty the cache directories (except index.html).
You must also backup and install a copy of the database and modify mainfile.php for using the second copy, else you could experiment on your live data!
Quote:
Step 2 of this tells me to delete some files
Read again!
This is on your local PC with the unfolded archive, before uploading to your server.

Follow the instructions meticulously!

Mamba
  • 2009/8/26 9:53

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

The instructions call to delete those files on your LOCAL machine, as part of preparation to upload the correct files to your SERVER.

Once you've downloaded 2.3.3, point (1) of the instructions says:

Move the "upgrade" folder inside the "htdocs" folder (it's been kept out as it's not needed for full installs) on your local machine

Point (2) tells you how to prepare the files locally before the upload

Then in point (3), you upload the files to the server.

biomech
  • 2009/8/26 10:22

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

ghia wrote:
Quote:
Any ideas why this is happening?

You must change the paths and the URL by adding /0-test.

I had done that already.

Quote:

You must empty the cache directories (except index.html).

I hadn't done that - but it seems to be working.

Quote:

You must also backup and install a copy of the database and modify mainfile.php for using the second copy, else you could experiment on your live data!

I had done that already as well, of course.

Quote:
Quote:
Step 2 of this tells me to delete some files
Read again!
This is on your local PC with the unfolded archive, before uploading to your server.

Follow the instructions meticulously!

Hang onto your pants man, what I said is that the unfolded archive does not contain those directories - this is on my local PC, as the instructions say. Here is what I'm doing ON MY LOCAL MACHINE:

1) # tar xzf xoops-2.3.2b-to-2.3.3.tar.gz
2) # mv upgrade htdocs/
3) # cd htdocs/

... and at this point, the htdocs directory does NOT contain:
install/
cache/
extras/
template_c/
uploads/

release_notes.txt says to delete those directories, but I can't because they don't exist. That's what I'm talking about. I understand about the difference between the local and remote machine.

Thanks,

-b-

Mamba
  • 2009/8/26 10:30

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You said first:

Quote:
I downloaded the full version of 2.3.3 fromhttps://xoops.org/modules/core/ and am following the directions in the "release_notes.txt" file under "Upgrading from XOOPS 2.0.* above 2.0.14 and 2.2.* (using the full package)". Step 2 of this tells me to delete some files, including htdocs/install/, htdocs/cache/, htdocs/extras/, htdocs/template_c/ and htdocs/uploads/. None of these directories exist in the directory hierarchy that I downloaded above.

Now you said:

Quote:
Hang onto your pants man, what I said is that the unfolded archive does not contain those directories - this is on my local PC, as the instructions say. Here is what I'm doing ON MY LOCAL MACHINE:

1) # tar xzf xoops-2.3.2b-to-2.3.3.tar.gz

Ghia's and my comments were based on your original statement, i.e. we've understood that you're using the full version download. On the full version, those directories do exist...

biomech
  • 2009/8/26 10:34

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Mamba,

My apologies, when I went to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xoops/files/XOOPS%20Core%20%28stable%20releases%29/XOOPS%202.3.3/

I downloaded the wrong file (xoops-2.3.2b-to-2.3.3.tar.gz) instead of this file: xoops-2.3.3.tar.gz

I'll get the correct file this time and start again from scratch. Thanks for helping me figure out my mistake.

-b-

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits