pasj
Language problems on some modules
  • 2009/8/24 12:20

• pasj

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/7/8 2

Hey all

Got some good help in my last thread and already i need some more! :)

I have some problems with showing some characters of the danish language (the æ,ø and å), some modules show the characters some dont.

Especially its the Smartsection and PiCal modules and it actually doesnt look that nice. The letters just look like questionmarks!

I have set up the right "type" of language in the settings but i dont know how to set it up in the modules. Help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, i know i will get this problem solved fast!

ghia
Re: Language problems on some modules
  • 2009/8/24 12:45

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

On new sites UTF-8 is choosen as character set encoding. Older use mostly an ISO (latin) variant.
It is important that you use the same character encoding set at all levels: database tables and connection, XOOPS settings.
This has also repercussions for the file formats on the server, which have to be aligned with the character set encoding choice.
The ansi format goes with ISO and UTF-8 (without BOM) with UTF-8.
This is needed for all PHP files in the language directories and for all support files, like theme, templates and some javascript files with language information. Most older modules provide the ansi format.
Conversion can be done with an editor such as Notepad++.

pasj
  • 2009/8/24 14:00

• pasj

• Just popping in

Thanks for the info ghia. That was pretty much what i suspected.

You say that i can convert it with Notepad++? You must know my skills in XOOPS are very limited and even though I entirely understand what you mean i need some more pointers :) If you have a guide, quick how-to, that would really be appreciated!

ghia
  • 2009/8/24 14:47

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Install notepad++.
Then:
-Open a file (there is a shortcut in file explorer).
-In the menu click on 'Format'. There is a dot for the current encoding.
- If it is not the required format, click on 'Convert to Ansi' or 'Convert to UTF-8 without BOM'
- Save the file.

Check also XOOPS Nordic, they may have some module translations/encodings available.

pasj
  • 2009/8/24 20:16

• pasj

• Just popping in

Okay, sounds easy enough. Is there any specific file i need to convert? Could imagine it would be something like the main.php file or something :)

Login

Who's Online

390 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 390

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits