adium
Better way to working with and managing SQL databases?
  • 2009/8/2 10:40

• adium

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/18

You know those modules that you want like 1,000 entries in it, for example a links section, and you have to sit there and enter every single one using the submit.php page?

I have found a better way, using a program (called Navicat) that lets me export my SQL table into an excel file.... or place all my data into an excel file then import it. Problem is, that it only imports by deleting the old table then making a new one. Causing whatever uses that table to be unavailable for the time period you need to upload the new database. This program also limits me to using 255 characters per cell. For a links section, its not a big deal, but for forum entries or blog posts it can create a problem.

I am wondering if anyone uses something similar. I would absolutely love something that functions like excel but works directly with the database online so there is no upload/download crap. Another annoying feature with Navicat is that it doesn't include the column names in the table so you have to type in each name manually before you can import it.

For links and downloads modules this program is great..., but I'm still looking for a little more control.

iHackCode
Re: Better way to working with and managing SQL databases?

i first used MS Access with odbc and linked the tables but i couldn't change the schema.

then i started using SQLyog.

now i'm trying out heidiSQL.

CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

dbman
  • 2009/8/2 15:01

• dbman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/4/28

Try Toad for MySQL:
http://www.toadsoft.com/toadmysql/Overview.htm

I've tried just about every database client there is and this has the most features I've seen yet. In particular the file to database import is impressive.

ghia
  • 2009/8/2 20:10

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

I do all the needed things with phpMyAdmin.

Login

Who's Online

176 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 176

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits