webweaver
Is there a default password for "admin"
  • 2009/7/3 16:22

• webweaver

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/3/24

In XOOPS 2.3.3, is there a default password for admin (I did not come across one in the documentation or forums). If there is, could you please send it to my account?

Thanks

Feichtl
Re: Is there a default password for "admin"
  • 2009/7/3 16:31

• Feichtl

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/11/8

No. You are invited to assign one yourself at installation of xoops.

webweaver
  • 2009/7/3 16:34

• webweaver

• Just popping in

I don't recall doing that during the setup. I am not sure how I would have set it up. I created my own administrative user at that time -- with another login name. Is there any way I can retrieve the admin password if I don't know the details around how it was setup?

iHackCode

this would help.

FAQ:How can i reset the administrator password?

Quote:
bender wrote:

In case you lost your admin password and recovering it by mail does not work for any reason here is how you can solve the problem.

First you should know that the password is stored in the table users. The actual field is pass.
The password is stored in md5 format.

So what you need to do is:

1. Go to phpmyadmin or similar db management tool.
2. Open _users table
3. Locate your record (probably the first)
4. Edit the record
5. Set the password field by writing a new pw and setting the "function" to MD5
6. Log in with your new password

[size=x-small][original answer by mithrandir][/size]
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

webweaver
  • 2009/7/3 17:20

• webweaver

• Just popping in

Thanks, let me clarify. In attempting to get around my recent problem of not having access to items under the "administration" menu anymore, I tried to register a new user id called admin. I got a message that that id is reserved. So I thought it might have a "superuser id" but I cannot discover the password.

I have my own administrative userid and password that I created (but which gives me the problem stated above).

I did go through the steps from the FAQ Bandit-X posted but there is no actual userid admin (per the reserved id) in the _user database.

There are people who have registered to my site and I am trying to avoid blowing the whole thing away since it is live now.

webweaver
  • 2009/7/3 17:26

• webweaver

• Just popping in

Just a thought, is there a way I can create a superuser through the backdoor that someone can provide me a script for, to run in cpanel's phpmyadmin?

webweaver...

trabis
  • 2009/7/3 17:52

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

You can apply a session hack to gain access to user 1(probably the super admin)

You need to edit include/common.php and paste this code just above the closing ?>

// trabis
// Change the bellow IP or else I will be the one having access, lol
if ($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] == '217.129.238.140') {

$xoopsUser =& $member_handler->getUser(1);
    if (
is_object($xoopsUser)){

$GLOBALS["sess_handler"]->update_cookie();
        if (isset(
$_SESSION['xoopsUserGroups'])) {

$xoopsUser->setGroups($_SESSION['xoopsUserGroups']);
        } else {

$_SESSION['xoopsUserGroups'] = $xoopsUser->getGroups();
        }

$xoopsUserIsAdmin $xoopsUser->isAdmin();
    }
}

webweaver
  • 2009/7/3 18:35

• webweaver

• Just popping in

Thanks,

I edited the IP to be the one for my site and pasted the given script above the closing ?> as you mentioned -- and saved . When I view the _user table I still see the same users as before.

If I reran the install again, would it overwrite my work or would it keep what I have done and fix my settings?

I have backups of my tables (done whenever I have done major work on my site), problem is, I am not quite sure of when the problem was introduced so I am not quite sure how to proceed if I go that route.

Also, I have downloaded my tables as one big SQL file via CPANEL but I presume I can extract the scripts from those to extract what I need, if I knew what it was.

I did a lot of work yesterday adding links, etc, which I don't want to lose.

Also as mentioned previously, some users have registered and I don't want to lose their passwords, etc.

stumped!

trabis
  • 2009/7/3 19:13

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

webweaver wrote:
Thanks,

I edited the IP to be the one for my site and pasted the given script above the closing ?> as you mentioned -- and saved . When I view the _user table I still see the same users as before.

The hack allows you to login has user #1. So if this user has all privileges you will be able to reset his password.

In short: There is no default password for "admin".
You can go and edit password using cpanel or you can use this hack and do it via XOOPS administration.

webweaver
  • 2009/7/3 21:16

• webweaver

• Just popping in

Thanks for the clarification. I have all the credentials for the "admin" user I created during installation. I was under the impression, from my work so far with XOOPS, that there is a XOOPS user that comes with the install that is called admin as well, and I had hoped that this admin user would have more power than the one I created at setup.

So, this brings me back full circle, to where I was with my other permissions thread, which is under the general usage. I turned on debug through the back door but it did not show any lines of error after I logged out and back in and did the steps.

Thanks anyway.

Login

Who's Online

171 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 171

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits