Catzwolf
Re: Xoops FAQ V1.15 Beta Released
  • 2009/4/11 12:44

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

If this modules are to be XOOPS 2.3 compatible than they should work with php4(supported by this version), my opinion. Besides I doubt there is a need to use php5 just to clean a single request in a single file.

I will not develop for an obsolete version of PHP. The quicker we get out off this roundabout the better. I'm sorry if this upsets someone, but the fact is we have to MOVE on and not get stuck in this rut.

Quote:

As for smartfaq I have to agree with catz. Goal is not to make a better module, is to make a functional module that others can work on and improve.

Exactly my point, we are doing this to let developers understand the mechanics of an XOOPS module. You could call them working templates, that will be improved on in the future by either the XMDT or by a developer who takes over the module development.

Quote:

I notice a wfp_ function inside one of the classes but could not find where it was defined. I did not installed the module to check this out, it may be producing an error.

I will check this thanks.

Quote:

Also I notice a method like get_objs or something that performs two queries, one to get a count of all available objects and other to get just a limited number of objects. I think it would be better to use just one query, count the resulting array, and then unset the not need objects according to the criteria.
Again, did not tested it.

If you look at the Xoosla Modules, you will get a better understand why I have done this. This will help with page navigation and items per page. I have yet to include this into the module. I will do this on the next update.

Quote:
Thanks for the update and for your time.

You are more than welcome.

tcnet
  • 2009/4/11 14:46

• tcnet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/5/12

Extraction: Using Winrar 3.60 to extract the xoops2.xoopsfaq.v1.15.zip archive resulted in a file named xoops2.xoopsfaq.v1.15. I added .zip extention to that filename and extracted again. The modules files then decompressed properly but another xoops2.xoopsfaq.v1.15 was created in the archive folder. Deleted it. All is well.

Flawless install.

Typo: 'Convert Linebreaks to Xoopskreaks' in language/english/admin.php line 57

Getting this debug Notice: Undefined index: itemName in file /include/comment_view.php line 46 using XOOPS 2.3.3rc and php 5.2.4. The Comment section is not displayed on the page.

The Published date is one day behind in admin/index.php. It is displayed correctly in admin/index.php?op=edit. It was possible to enter a future date. Does the module auto publish?

On my monitor the Content Body text area form element is very tall when using html editors. Set mine to 400px in class/contents.php line 102 $options['height'] = '600px'. Matter of preference I suppose.

Feature suggestions:
An Answer with a long description will need a single question page view.

Please add link to the question's frontside page in the admin panel. Please add links to admin panel on the frontside view.

It would be nice to see the question's category in admin/index.php table.

Thanks for providing basic template modules for us novice coders to study.

ghia
  • 2009/4/11 19:20

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
It as already has been made clear from Smart factory that they do not intend on keep compatibility with XOOPS 2.3 and the move of all their modules is a big indication that that they are moving further away from Xoops.
I have the understanding that it is the other way around. They are still compatible with 2.0.18, but 2.3.x isn't any longer. So, XOOPS is moving away from itself.
Quote:
We wouldn’t expect every new program to run on Windows 95 or Windows NT would we? Same has to be said with Xoops.
No, and I don't either. When I am talking about compatibility is that when a module runs perfect with 2.0.18, it should still run with 2.3.3.
For newer modules which use the extended features of 2.3.3, it is normal that they will not and don't have to run with 2.0.18.
If one follows the API of XOOPS this should not be a problem. New features has to be added with respect for the old. So, we get an evolution.
We don't want a revolution, where things are trown overboard or are changed for the changement.
Quote:
Also I notice a method like get_objs or something that performs two queries, one to get a count of all available objects and other to get just a limited number of objects. I think it would be better to use just one query, count the resulting array, and then unset the not need objects according to the criteria.
I think it is a question of scalabillity. If only a limited objects, say less then 100 are expected, your method isn't bad and simpler, but when there are 10 000 items, you run into trouble. I know one, who as that much articles in News and they count also the records.
Quote:
Goal is not to make a better module, is to make a functional module that others can work on and improve.
OK, the module is targetted for developers and not for users. I missed that point.

trabis
  • 2009/4/11 20:23

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:
OK, the module is targetted for developers and not for users. I missed that point.

No, the module is targeted for both. We just can´t put over catz the task of developing new features. Doing bug fix and XOOPS compatibility is good enough for a man alone.

Besides, a working module is a better module.

Reintjan
  • 2009/4/11 21:20

• Reintjan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/3/17

Same error here when downloading as i had before with xoopsmember, invalid archive....

Please reupload this module.... on xoopsmember the .rar file worked fine for me...

Thanks, i hope to test this module very soon!
Be smart, stay smart. Stay one step ahead...

Mamba
  • 2009/4/11 22:08

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Did you try to use 7zip?

It worked for me, so I am trying to figure out if this is the file, or if this is the Zip program that you're using.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Catzwolf
  • 2009/4/12 2:57

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

I have the understanding that it is the other way around. They are still compatible with 2.0.18, but 2.3.x isn't any longer. So, XOOPS is moving away from itself.

Ok, we can look at this in two ways, we can first say, yes XOOPS is moving away from its self. It’s the normal progression in development and especially when developed on a platform like PHP. As PHP progresses, we then discover new ways or added functionality that we can use in our scripts.

The fact is this, we cannot stay still for to long, and we have already seen the problems this has caused with XOOPS Modules not keeping up with the core development of PHP.

Xoops has to move away from itself in order to survive and keep up with every other CMS and that requires that now and then we have to break a few eggs.

Quote:

No, and I don't either. When I am talking about compatibility is that when a module runs perfect with 2.0.18, it should still run with 2.3.3.

For newer modules which use the extended features of 2.3.3, it is normal that they will not and don't have to run with 2.0.18.

If one follows the API of XOOPS this should not be a problem. New features has to be added with respect for the old. So, we get an evolution.

We don't want a revolution, where things are trown overboard or are changed for the changement.

I agree to some point. You have to look at it this way, how long do you actually keep compatibility with older systems before the API becomes full of redundant code and ends up being Bloat ware? The answer is that you can only realistically keep some backward compatibility over a certain period of time and after that the API needs to trim itself of redundant code.

The truth of the matter is this; we wouldn’t be having this discussion if the modules followed the exact same development path as the core. This has not been the case. Module development has fallen so far back, so now more or less all XOOPS modules will only run on PHP4 and XOOPS version 2.18 and thus probably keeps people from moving to XOOPS 2.3 or even possibly upgrading to PHP 5.

So now that we are bringing XOOPS modules into line with the core, people will either turn one or two ways, ‘You have broken my modules and Xoops’ Or Wonderful I can now update my PHP and Xoops. The truth of the matter is that we will be damned if we don’t and possibly damned if we do. Right now, you can damn me all you like for doing ;)

Quote:

In order to use the Navigation system within XOOPS, I first need to know exactly how many items there’re within the database in order to count how many pages the navigation will split by the number of articles actually displayed.

Ie. If 10 items are displayed per list and there is a total of 100 in the database, the count tells us to split the Navigation in to 10 pages from the previous and next. If I were to do it the way you suggested, then I would only ever have one page of ten items listed.

If you have another method I can use to do this, I would be pleased if you could show me. So far this is the only way of getting the total records and the actual records, and have the page navigation split by the total*actual into a working page navigation.

Quote:

Nope, the modules are targeted for everyone, user, new developers and mature developers, to better understand the working of a XOOPS module. As I said before, these modules are work in progress, and we want to have working versions that show how the XOOPS API works, and the only way to do this is to lead by example.

I hope this answers some of your questions, anyway, off to convert another module.

Reintjan
  • 2009/4/12 9:18

• Reintjan

• Not too shy to talk

Mamba, on my laptop which i'm using now my boss doesn't allow me to install new software... I'm using zipgenius for unzipping files.

I've never had problems with unzipping modules only these two ones.... The .rar of xoopsmember worked fine for me...

Hope you can find out what's going wrong and fix it...

Thanks

Mamba
  • 2009/4/12 10:31

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I think, there is a problem with ZipGenius.

I've downloaded ZipGenius and tried to unzip and also got an error. However, when I tried WinZip, PeaZip, and 7Zip, all of them were able to read the files.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Reintjan
  • 2009/4/12 10:50

• Reintjan

• Not too shy to talk

Strange, i don't have any problems unzipping files except for these two ones.... Still i'm not able to install any other ziptool on this computer so please reupload as .rar

Thanks!

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits