danstyp
Defeated
  • 2009/4/4 15:07

• danstyp

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/2/3 1

Unfortunately I did upgrade from 2.3.1 to 2.3.3. My page dissappeared after few minutes. No possibility to change something. I deleted all my files from the server and now I am building everything starting from zero. I am very confused. Why upgrading process is so dangerous? Is there to many factors to handle?

ghia
Re: Defeated
  • 2009/4/4 18:55

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

danstyp, welcome to the XOOPS forum!

Sorry to hear that. It is not supposed to be that way.
Before updates make always a backup of the site (files and database). After uploading always check if all files are present with the filecheck utility (see release notes).
Some people have reported incomplete archives due to some lesser quality mirrors (or connections with them) of SourceForge.
Also uploading to the site may fail sometimes and then the old file is not replaced with the new one.
Just a few reasons explaining why upgrade may fail.

vamptrix
  • 2009/4/4 21:05

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

Always remove mainfile.php from the archive, because that causes the main problems.
If you've removed mainfile.php or overwritten it on the server, your site will simply go white, and you won't be able to do anything. You can manually recreate the mainfile.php file though, using mainfile.dist.php should you ever have this problem again (because I think that's the problem :))
I used to use this account, but no longer.

ghia
  • 2009/4/5 7:57

• ghia

Quote:
Always remove mainfile.php from the archive, because that causes the main problems.
If you've removed mainfile.php or overwritten it on the server, your site will simply go white,
I do not understand this reasoning.
- Always remove
- if removed: site goes white
Conclusion: always go white?

blindman
  • 2009/4/5 11:24

• blindman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/26

I think "Delete mainfile.php from the archive" means that the working mainfile.php from the server must not be overwriten by the fresh one from downloaded archive. Is that the catch?
Quite ambiguous for non-English user.
Don't follow me. I'm lost too.

ghia
  • 2009/4/5 12:32

• ghia

Ok, maybe in that way.
Probably he is referring to step 2 of the upgrade instructions for using the full package:
Quote:
2. Delete htdocs/mainfile.php, htdocs/install/, htdocs/cache/, htdocs/extras/, htdocs/template_c/, htdocs/themes/ and htdocs/uploads/ from the "htdocs" folder on your LOCAL machine

I think these instructions are clear.

Login

Who's Online

243 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 243

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits