Watchmanz
Xoops and phpmyspace
  • 2009/3/26 19:43

• Watchmanz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/3/11

Hi everyone, I've noticed some threads about phpmyspace and how it seems to be a direct copy of XOOPS. I have phpmyspace but I'm interested in achieving the same result using XOOPS - that way I support GPL and have a lot more options available for customization.

The site I'm trying to build is a community-type site for friends and family around the world (although it will be open to everybody). I want it to be like the phpmyspace/My Space sites with video, music, forums, chat, etc. The only problem is that my knowledge of PHP etc is not expert level, and I don't want to spend month after month trying unsuccessfully to build a site (I got the phpmyspace site functioning in about 10 hours or so).

So, assuming I use XOOPS itself and build it, can I expect to build an equivalent site quite easily without having to hack code and spending hours upon hours working on it?

If I can, then I'm quite keen to look at it.

I'd appreciate advice from all the XOOPSers (is that the word?) for a newbie.

Anonymous
Re: Xoops and phpmyspace
  • 2009/3/26 20:15

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi, and welcome to the original and the best

Yep, IIRC phpmyspace gold started life as XOOPS v1 code. The be blunt, some folks have said that they took the code and packaged/sold it as their own and even today XOOPS references abound. I've not looked at the code so what I've said is heresay.

The the two code-bases have gone their separate ways in the intervening period and modules, etc. are not interchangable.

Xoops is a free download, as are most modules, and support on here is free too. If you want give a little back in return, share your experiences (good and bad!) and help others then please join in

Yep, you can easily get a site up and running in that time and without hacking about. If you're used to phpmyspace then "real xoops" will be a shallow learning curve for you. I was certainly not a coder when I started with XOOPS 2.5 years ago and I had a site up and running in no time

There is often more than one module to do the same thing but each will have a different feature-set. Ask on here about the similarities and differences and make sure you chose the right one for your needs. also, make sure you're using the latest version of each module.

Login

Who's Online

273 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 273

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits