sthelensnow
FAQs module for public users
  • 2008/7/10 1:38

• sthelensnow

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/7/7 1

Is there a FAQ module available for public users so they can learn how to use my site. I am looking for a pre-existing module where general users (not XOOPS webmasters/developers) can look up answers to problems on how to use the site.
Thanks, Barry

Mamba
Re: FAQs module for public users
  • 2008/7/10 3:09

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I don't think, we have something like this, but it's a good idea.

The problem is that this would depend on the modules you select to use on your Website.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

sthelensnow
  • 2009/2/24 5:42

• sthelensnow

• Just popping in

It is a good idea. I have wanted something like this for ages. If someone is clever enough they could build it in to preferences which modules they wanted FAQ for.

My opinion is that it should be a requirement for those who submit modules, they should include FAQs or Help, for the public users, (not me, I know how to use XOOPS after such a long time).

Some of the really good ones like Video Tube include extensive help sections for public users (and I promote their help sections on my site...get clever and get some extra promotion).

Coppermine Gallery, (an open source software program I use) provide an excellent FAQs section for general users. Surely XOOPS could do the same.

Just a humble opinion from someone who has never ever submitted a module.

Barry

tcnet
  • 2009/2/24 6:25

• tcnet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/5/12

SmartFAQ 108 with the FAQ For New Xoopsers extra would provide a starting point. SmartFactory's sql dump is old (2004) but much of it still applies. You will need to modify to suit your module list.

I think Smart Factory pictured a XOOPS community FAQ when they added this preference setting:
Quote:

Path of SmartFAQ's help files
Select from where you would like to access SmartFAQ's help files. If you downloaded the 'SmartFAQ's Help Package' and uploaded it in 'modules/smartfaq/doc/', you can select 'Inside the module'. Alternatively, you can access the module's help file directly from docs.xoops.org by chosing this in the selector. You can also select 'Custom Path' and specify yourself the path of the help files in the next config option 'Custom path of SmartFAQ's help files'

sthelensnow
  • 2009/2/24 21:19

• sthelensnow

• Just popping in

I have tried to download the SmartFAQ help files from Smart Factory but it just redirects to the main XOOPS website. It appears other people are having the same problem.

Quote:
The module config screen in the Admin CP has a path for SmartFAQ's help files. It mentions a SmartFAQ Help Package that can be uploaded to /modules/smartfaq/docs; however, I don't have it in the v1.08 final zip file, and I don't see it on the dev.xoops.org site. I searched for it on this site and don't find anything. Can someone point me to it? Thanks! Jim Vernon

Barry

Mamba
  • 2009/2/24 22:12

• Mamba

Try this link to XOOPS Module Repository
Support XOOPS => DONATE

sthelensnow
  • 2009/2/25 0:00

• sthelensnow

• Just popping in

Thank you for that I found the file and installed it. It is only a user guide for SmartFaq and requires a lot of customization.

I was really looking for a user guide for the whole of Xoops.

Thanks anyway, I really appreciate your help. Maybe one will turn up some day.

Thanks, Barry

Mamba
  • 2009/2/25 2:29

• Mamba

Read this thread, and follow the links from there.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

sthelensnow
  • 2009/2/25 4:54

• sthelensnow

• Just popping in

Hi Mambo

I checked out what you suggested. I think you may be missing my point. Please accept my apologies if I am wrong.

I am looking for an existing user guide/faqs that will help 'joe public' to use my XOOPS site. I am not looking for a guide for webmasters of XOOPS sites.

I think it would be useful for all XOOPS webmasters and I can well understand the time and effort that would be required to produce such a thing. I was just wondering if one was already available.

Thanks, Barry

Login

Who's Online

120 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 120

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits