jezjones24
Where to find ...
  • 2009/2/24 14:17

• jezjones24

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/2/23

On the left hand side of this site there is a section marked Documentation.
The first link in there is books, followed by Wiki and then FAQs. As a new user of Xoops, books is not a link i really need when looking for documentation.

It would be good to have some links here to where the actual documentation and PDFs are. The FAQs are pretty limited and not very helpful when starting out, the wiki is very incomplete, making it fairly tedious to use and the forums are dealing with peoples specific issues rather than giving general info on getting going with xoops.

I don't want to seem like i am just complaining, but if you want people not to post bad questions that would ellicit the reply "Did you search for it", then making the docs easier to find and better organised would be great.

Mamba
Re: Where to find ...
  • 2009/2/24 15:48

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You'll find some PDF documents here:

1) Core

2) Modules

I hope, this helps
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

dbman
  • 2009/2/24 17:25

• dbman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/4/28

An up to date "quick start" guide would be a great addition to the existing documentation. It's something that would get new users up and running with minimal effort and avoid much of the confusion.

Mamba
  • 2009/2/24 18:35

• Mamba

I believe, Anders is working on an update for "Operations Guide".

Unfortunately, documentation is always a problem for most projects.

And while I agree with your statement, as long as we don't get people willing to help, it won't happen.

So once again, we would like to encourage all XOOPS users to help us with the documentation. The good thing is that one doesn't have to be a programmer to help. And together as a team, we can take care of English (if it's not your first language), and improve it.

So please, join the Documentation Team, and help us out.

Support XOOPS => DONATE

jezjones24
  • 2009/3/2 17:36

• jezjones24

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/2/23

OK, well since the documentation i am looking for is mostly related to development with Xoops, I am happy to help write something.

I think that there needs to be some clarity about who the documentation is for since XOOPS has so many types of users.

There are;-
1) people who use XOOPS (non-programmers, but moderately technical).
2) people who develop XOOPS itself and modules for distribution
3) people who are commercially tasked with "make our install of XOOPS do x", this is usually in a web job of somekind where XOOPS is used.

So I was looking for documentation on getting started with writing your own modules quickly (since i am in category 3).

I have managed to figure out most of what i need to know so far, just working on blocks .. I will let someone know soon as there is some documentation to see.

Jez

Mamba
  • 2009/3/2 17:53

• Mamba

Thank you Jez, very much appreciated!!!
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

159 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 159

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits