peterbell
Need Help on "View Account" "User Profile" and Admin Control Panel "news" menu
  • 2009/2/10 14:44

• peterbell

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/1/22

Can anyone help with the very few remaining hiccups I'm having with my XOOPS 2.3.2b installation?

There are a couple of remaining issues which I just don't seem able to be able to solve. They're relatively small, should be easy to fix, but I just can't seem to do it. Here they are:

1. When any of the normal registered users tries to "view account" or view "user profile", all that comes up is a blank page. (right now we only have two registered users since the site is still in the testing stage). Yet when they go to "edit account" all of their info comes up and is viewable. However, no such problem exists with the webmaster (me). I can "view account", view "user profile" and "edit account" and everything works just fine... What gives here?

2. Second, inside the "administration" panel, when I hit the menu "news" at the top of the panel, I get the following error message: "XmlParse error: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 43".

Here's some additional info:

1. I was previously asked by a XOOPS techie if anonymous users have access to the profile module. I've checked, and as far as I can tell, anonymous users do not have access to the profile module. When they click on the "user profile" link it brings up a login/registration page that they need to deal with before they can move forward onto the site or to view any of that info...

2. At the additional suggestion of XOOPS tech person, I tried using another admin theme (in fact I tried all three, i.e., default, exm, legacy) with the same result.

While I'd like to get a fix for the "news" control panel problem as well, the real issue here is that a registered user is not able to view his/her account or his/her profile unless he/she is trying to edit it. As you can imagine, this is a very BIG PROBLEM for a site open to the computer illiterate general public. In fact, it's such a large problem that it could kill my ability to convince the client to use XOOPS for the CMS.

If I could just get some help on these last two items, the site would be working perfectly and, with that out of the way, I think I could convince my client to choose XOOPS among all other CMS programs to use for her new site, a very large public site used to service inventors worldwide...

If you have any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate hearing them as I've grown rather fond of XOOPS in the meantime.

Thanks very much for any help you or anyone else can provide.

Peter

ghia
Re: Need Help on "View Account" "User Profile" and Admin Control Panel "news" menu
  • 2009/2/11 9:17

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

No need to start a new thread for the same problem!
Quote:
I've checked, and as far as I can tell, anonymous users do not have access to the profile module.
You should try with enabling this.

-----------
Techie

peterbell
Re: Need Help on "View Account" "User Profile" and Admin Control Panel "news" menu
  • 2009/2/14 0:29

• peterbell

• Just popping in

Sorry, tried all the suggestions that everyone so generously provided, you included, but none of them seem to work.

Is there some other place (besides the Profile module's "Permissions" tab) that I should be looking to try to correct the problem?

If you have any additional ideas, I'd sure like to hear them...

Thanks.

Peter

ghia
  • 2009/2/14 1:58

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Did you verify with the file check (see release notes) that all files for XOOPS are correctly uploaded?

peterbell
  • 2009/2/14 22:56

• peterbell

• Just popping in

Yup. Did all of that. Even went and downloaded another core package for 2.3.2b and took out the profile module and replaced the old one with the new one, just in case the old one managed to get corrupted on the download or the install.

Unforunately, same result. However, I did discover that if I elevate the registered user to "webmaster" status, then that user sees his profile when he hits the "view account" link and also sees his profile when he hits the "User Profile" link.

So, the problem definitely has something to do with how my installation views the status of registered users and anonymous users versus the status of webmasters.

Yet, I've turned on all the switches to give everyone an opportunity to view everyone else, but to no avail. In addition, on the "Permissions" tab of the Profile module, I've given permission to everyone to view ("visibility") to search ("searchable by these groups")and to access the profiles of ("Profile accessible by these groups") everyone (i.e., webmasters, registered users, anonymous users), but all to no avail, simply so that I could see that the "view account" and "User Profile" functions for at least registered users would work. But again, nada!!!

Is there anything else you can think of that I might try??? It's become a very frustrating experience and the shame of it is that it is only these two simple functions that are problematic. Everything else works like a charm.

I'd hate to have to give up XOOPS as the CMS simply because of these two wiggles...but if I can't solve this problem, that's exactly what'll have to do.

Even a substitute module or even being able to eliminate profile viewing (except when editing) entirely, would be acceptable as a solution (I'm desperate at this point).

Anyway, hope you can help.

Thanks.

Peter

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits