wt_r_d_e
Many problems with modules
  • 2009/1/10 6:31

• wt_r_d_e

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/1/10

XOOPS Version:latest
Modules Name:private messaging, protector, dedicasses, content, dokuwiki (all from latest core or latest module packages)
PHP Version:latest
MySQL Version:latest
Web Server Software (Apache/IIS/Other):apache
Operating System:win xp
Theme you are using:default
Custom template: (Yes/No)no
PHP Debug Messages:no
MySQL Debug Messages:no
Smarty Debug Messages:no
A full description of the issue:

(Please, excuse me for my language errors.)
1. Private Messaging: empty "Index" (there are many messages, so can't edit or delete them).
2. (not problem, but ...) In module packages all texts are english-deutsch (I think it must be the one language, not many).
3. (not problem, but ...) In module "protector". Misstyping in "Preferences": "Protection from Directroy Traversals".
4. Module "Dedicasses". "Sicherheitscode" is not shown, when adding a message. So, can't add any messages.
5. In module "Content". In "Preferences" there is an empty string after "View last edit" with "Yes/No".
6. In module "Content". "Quicklinks" don't work. The link to "Content" from Main Menu shows "no such page" error (links to other modules work).
7. In module "Dokuwiki". The module shows errors (3 red strings above): "(metadir | intexdir | lockdir) does not exist or isn't writable". Though, I can't found any problem with this module. It works fine. But I can't make these errors not be shown.

ghia
Re: Many problems with modules
  • 2009/1/10 8:57

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

wt_r_d_e, welcome on the XOOPS forums!
Quote:
XOOPS Version:latest
Latest is not a version number and may differ by what you know and what we know! Idem for modules, etc.
Quote:
excuse me for my language errors
No need to!
1. I thought this was addressed in 2.3.2b . Have you messages when PHP debug is turned on? What you mean with empty "Index"?
2. Some modules come with many languages in their language directory. You may delete the languages you are not using (altough it is a good idea to leave english alwyays in).
3. It can be corrected by editing the definition in /xoops_lib/modules/protector/language/english/modinfo.php
4. It may that you have no graphical library as GD2 in your PHP core. Do you see the confirmation code for registering with XOOPS?
5. Debug messages?
6. (Most people use News (as here on XOOPS.org) for their Content)
7. Read the installation instructions and readme. There are certainly some directories to create and/or set with write permissions (chmod).

wt_r_d_e
  • 2009/1/10 9:55

• wt_r_d_e

• Just popping in

Thank you, but ... I expected more useful answers here, at xoops.org.

Quote:
Latest is not a version number and may differ by what you know and what we know! Idem for modules, etc.

Then it no use in download link on main page and in link to module packs (nearly all modules from them don't work normally).

Quote:
1. I thought this was addressed in 2.3.2b . Have you messages when PHP debug is turned on? What you mean with empty "Index"?

Yes, 2.3.2b. No messages. There is no one message in "Index". And there are many messages in different users'"Inbox"'es.

Quote:
2. Some modules come with many languages in their language directory. You may delete the languages you are not using (altough it is a good idea to leave english alwyays in). 3. It can be corrected by editing the definition in /xoops_lib/modules/protector/language/english/modinfo.php

I meant mix of languages in one pack of language files (english). I can rewrite all language files, but I don't want to. I want to use "final" versions of modules. But it seems to me, that there are not any of them. There is just a core of XOOPS, that works.

Quote:
4. It may that you have no graphical library as GD2 in your PHP core. Do you see the confirmation code for registering with XOOPS?

Library is there. Of course I can see confirmation code. I can register.

Quote:
5. Debug messages?

What do you mean? The string is "Debug messages?"? May be.

Quote:

It's not a good answer, you know.

Quote:
7. Read the installation instructions and readme. There are certainly some directories to create and/or set with write permissions (chmod).

All files and directories are created manually (option to do it from module doesn't work correct). The problem is something else.

While I wrote this, I was logged out automatically. It's not correct work of module.

stefan88
  • 2009/1/10 12:42

• stefan88

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

sorry about my english too.

I agree with ghia - latest is not a version! This aply for XOOPS, modules, PHP and MySQL. It is also not recomended to use "latest" on a production site as this may be "proof of concept", "alpha" or "beta" (There are sites in internet using XOOPS 3.0...). Better use the "stable" versions. Also this forum is here to stay and tomorow, in a month or year this "latest" will not mean much and will not be helpfull for other users who try to find answer for the same problem or for developers who try to fix bugs. Be helpfull yourself and give acurate information so we can help.

Quote:
Yes, 2.3.2b. No messages. There is no one message in "Index". And there are many messages in different users'"Inbox"'es.

Quote:
5. Debug messages?
What do you mean? The string is "Debug messages?"? May be.

When you have problems the debug functionality of XOOPS can be very helpfull. Go to admin part of your site -> system -> preferences -> general settings and find Quote:
Debug mode

Several debug options. A running website should have this turned off.*

Select "Enable debug", scroll down and hit "Go!".
Better try both modes - inline and popup.

Quote:
Quote:
It's not a good answer, you know.

it is a good answer as some modules are not supported anymore. By asking here you may receive recomendation about stable and well working modules.

wt_r_d_e
  • 2009/1/10 17:30

• wt_r_d_e

• Just popping in

Quote:
I agree with ghia - latest is not a version! This aply for XOOPS, modules, PHP and MySQL. It is also not recomended to use "latest" on a production site as this may be "proof of concept", "alpha" or "beta"

OK! But it's still very strange to me, to ask questions about not stable version, and to ask them here.

Quote:
When you have problems the debug functionality of XOOPS can be very helpfull. Go to admin part of your site -> system -> preferences -> general settings and find Quote: Debug mode Several debug options. A running website should have this turned off.* Select "Enable debug", scroll down and hit "Go!". Better try both modes - inline and popup.

Thanks! But I can't be a coder now. I want just be a user of "stable" CMS.

Quote:
it is a good answer as some modules are not supported anymore. By asking here you may receive recomendation about stable and well working modules.

Just may get a recommendation? In forum? I think you are kidding. Where is the link to "downloads" of stable and well working modules?

trabis
  • 2009/1/10 19:34

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:
Thank you, but ... I expected more useful answers here, at xoops.org.

Why is that?

ghia
  • 2009/1/10 19:41

• ghia

The XOOPS core and all modules are GPL. You pay nothing and they come as they are. They are all a work in progress and are released by developers as stable and 'latest' versions for the XOOPS core's stable and 'latest' version.
For some modules the development is stopped, which means they do no longer fit as much as they used to. The repository contains all modules for reference and/or to build new modules on it. The search function allows you to benefit of the recommendations and experiences of others.
But you are free to decline any advice given.

cabdi_uk
  • 2009/1/13 17:43

• cabdi_uk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/12

Hello

I am also having problems in installing modules on my new XOOPS web site. I am using:

XOOPS Version - XOOPS 2.3.2
PHP Version - 5.2.6
MySQL Version - 5.0.45-log
Server API Version - cgi-fcgi
OS Version - Linux
safe_mode - Off
register_globals - On
magic_quotes_gpc - On
allow_url_fopen - On
fsockopen - On
allow_call_time_pass_reference - On
post_max_size - 8M
max_input_time - -1
output_buffering - 1024
max_execution_time - 30
memory_limit - 16M
file_uploads - On
upload_max_filesize - 5M

When I upload the modules onto my web site's module folder, I can not see the module in the administration page and
therefore can not install the new module.

My second question is in the past especially in version 2, I was able to create my own modules using the nice tutorial in
https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=280. I can not see these modules I created before as well and therefore can not install.

My 3rd question I wish to request for your assistance with is my register globals is on and teh .htaccess file
I created to secure my site is crashing the web site. Thanks

ghia
  • 2009/1/13 19:05

• ghia

Sometimes one module can disable the view of others in the list, because it required libraries or classes or other modules that are not present, or requires access to directories, that needed to be created or set with the right permissions (see the readme documentation, install and release notes). But even invisible, you can install the modules by the direct command in your browser:
/modules/system/admin.php?fct=modulesadmin&op=install&module=NameOfModuleToInstall

For the .htaccess file, without knowing what you put in there, I can only confirm that if the strict syntax rules are not observed, it is possible to crash Apache.

stefan88
  • 2009/1/13 19:37

• stefan88

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi

Quote:
When I upload the modules onto my web site's module folder, I can not see the module in the administration page

There may be few reasons for that:

one is what ghia said in previous post, so follow that advice;

the second is that you have a module not compatible with your version of xoops. Some old modules will not work with new XOOPS versions. It is good practice to upload modules one by one. If the module does not show in module admin and it is not a problem with missing component - framework or something, delete that module or it will prevent next module to show.

Try to enable php debug in admin and look for clues (errors) where the problem is.

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits