le130
CBB show new posts option
  • 2008/11/13 16:38

• le130

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/11/3

Hi guys, I'm running the very good CBB 3.08 forum on my website.
The forum is becoming sucessfull with dozens of new posts every day.
But some users, myself included, are concerning about there is no visible option 'Shows new posts since my last visit'. The forum has considerable categorias and subfum and some interesting posts may get lost into this ocean of posts.

The CBB menu option 'Show new posts' works but it show the expanded data with the full content of each post. There is any way this option shows only the post subject with a link to the detail forum page?

Anonymous
Re: CBB show new posts option
  • 2008/11/13 18:46

• Anonymous

• Since:

CBB comes with three blocks.... "Recent Posts", "Recent Topics" and "Recent Replied Topics".

xoops.org uses the last one on the homepage, as do I on mine.

All three blocks are configurable in respect of how much they display. Any good to you?

ghia
  • 2008/11/13 18:49

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Did you try View unread topics in the Main options at the top of the Forum index?
modules/newbb/viewall.php?type=unread

Falcon22
  • 2008/11/14 4:35

• Falcon22

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/26

I would like to make the same request as le130. If you look at vBulletin there is a "Todays Posts" link at the top that displays exactly the same "Recent Replied Topics" on CBB.

The output of "View New Posts" in CBB is useless, so why not change it to display the same output as "Recent Replied Topics".

le130
  • 2008/11/14 10:37

• le130

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/11/3

modules/newbb/viewall.php?type=unread
works fine. I will modify the forum templates to put this link in the header of the forum pages so users can find it easily
thanks

ghia
  • 2008/11/14 11:53

• ghia

Quote:
The output of "View New Posts" in CBB is useless, so why not change it to display the same output as "Recent Replied Topics".
Well then don't use it.
It has been programmed in for a reason: At least one person (the developer) found this feature was needed.
But if a lot of people feel the same way, it is possible that the feature will be removed in a future version.

Falcon22
  • 2008/11/15 7:07

• Falcon22

• Just popping in

The point that we are making is it would be nice to add a link to the Message Forum to display the Newest or Today's new post by topic or subject line. Not just the "unread"; a link to "Recent Replied Topics" would be appreciated.

ghia
  • 2008/11/15 9:16

• ghia

That is the 'View all topics' in the Main options at the top of the Forum index.
/modules/newbb/viewall.php
It lists all threads in order of last added message.
To find the recent replied topics, look to the threads which have a Replies count greater then zero.
The module has also blocks which can list various selections.

Falcon22
  • 2008/11/15 20:35

• Falcon22

• Just popping in

YES the "View all topics" is what I am looking for; however I think the lable on that could be clearer, but I have no idea what it should be. In my opinion "View all topics" and "Recent Replied Topics" are the best way to browse a Message Forum. There is a slight difference between the two and I still maintain that there should be a option added for "View Recent Replied Topics" in the Topic Options. Visit my site for an example of what I mean by "Recent Replied Topics" (the name is misleading becuase even the new topics without replies are posted) at www.jclist.com any input is apprecaited.

On another subject could someone please tell me what a Digest is and how to use it.

ghia
  • 2008/11/16 2:22

• ghia

Didn't use it, but digest is a kind of newsletter for the forum.

Login

Who's Online

124 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 124

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits