GPboarder
Re: Admin Menu blank
  • 2008/11/4 12:09

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/10/6

Didn't seem a bit off at all to me.

In my real work I'm competent and deal with "peers" all the time who can't RTFM. I get it.

ghia has a point I suppose if that were possible. (not him having a point, but XOOPS doing it)

For users at my level (know just enough to be dangerous and annoying) the steps you refer to could be fleshed out a little.

For example where it says create and make the directories...writable, there is no need to create the directories. They should be there already so I was a bit stumped by the instruction to create them.

A separate set of checksum files for upgrades might also help.

The posting about starting a new XOOPS site by skenow is great but is out of date.

A search in the wiki for 2.3.1 currently reveals nothing.

Perhaps the 2.3.1 forum needs a topic at the top outlining the 5 basic steps to troubleshoot problems? Don't post until you have done these 5 things...

The XOOPS 2.3 Installation Notes I just noticed are great. Unfortunately they came a little late in the whole 2.3.1 release process and miss instructions on the use of the checksum files which as I now understand them can go a long way to getting things working.

A similar document on upgrading might help.

I'm not ranting by the way. Just offering some ideas to help keep the 2.3.1 forum cleaner than the rest of the forums.

Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

ghia
  • 2008/11/4 12:50

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
For example where it says create and make the directories...writable, there is no need to create the directories. They should be there already so I was a bit stumped by the instruction to create them.
The problem is that many hosters have restrictions on what the Apache user may do with the file system. And even if allowed, it is possible that these directories could not be managed anymore from the websites admin control panel like eg. cPanel.
Therefore it is best to do these things by hand.

GPboarder
  • 2008/11/4 13:24

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/10/6

Are these not the folders that are already in the htdocs folder of the 2.3.1 package?

So when the contents of the htdocs folder are uploaded under instruction #1, the "create" part of instruction #4 is already done.

Or am I missing something?
Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

ghia
  • 2008/11/4 13:54

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Sometimes empty directories are skipped in uploading.
More precise would be:
4. Make the directory xoops_data/ writable; Create (if not already present) and make the directories xoops_data/caches/, xoops_data/caches/xoops_cache/, xoops_data/caches/smarty_cache/ and xoops_data/caches/smarty_compile/ writable.

Login

Who's Online

212 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 212

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits