nmshah
A couple of questions on xoops default config
  • 2008/10/30 10:32

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

Now that i have started using XOOPS to make sites for some of my friends, there are copule of questions that i have.

1. XOOPS system module seems to have some sub modules as a part of it. To name a few avatars, banners, users, user rnaks etc. Is there a way to remove these features.

2. XOOPS and most of the modules have a set of default blocks that they come with. Not all the blocks are required for most sites. Is there a way to remove/delete the unwanted blocks from the blocks admin. Both for system as well as individual modules installed.
If no, then is there a way to make the index page of blockadmin show all visible blocks only by default. Currently in XOOPS 2.3.1 the default setting for index page is set to show all system blocks.

The reason I ask these questions is that even though XOOPS is the simplest and by far the best cms i have used at times for a basic site it still can be a bit overwhelming. So when i make sites i want to give only the required blocks and features to the site owners.

Btw thanks againg for the great cms

ghia
Re: A couple of questions on xoops default config
  • 2008/10/30 11:52

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

You are asking for a car without wheels!
Most things can be removed permanently only by editing files.

I think you should look at another kind of CMS, with less possibilities (and security) or educate your target audience.

anderssk
  • 2008/10/30 13:11

• anderssk

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/3/21

I don't agree with Ghia

Thats correct that most things can't be removed, but You can create a new group for the users and only give them access to system-things that You want them to edit. The link in the system-module will still be showed, but the do not have access to the functions.

But I think it's an great idea to implement in a later version.

The Blocks-interface is better in 2.3.1 but and You can hide them by editing module files. But You will have to do that after module-updates.

nmshah
  • 2008/10/30 18:19

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

Ok then is there a way to change the default view in the blocksadmin to show only those blocks that are visible to all users instead of the current view which shows all system blocks.

anderssk
  • 2008/10/30 18:34

• anderssk

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/3/21

I can't tell
I just think it is a great idea.

Then You can have a real Webmaster-group and a Admin-group.
In fact, that is normal/regulations in companies.
Newer use You master-user account for daily use

All-right I work with security at my ordinary job, and don't uses HTTPS on XOOPS.
If someone hack my computer/internet-line, steel my laptop or something like that, they get my userid/password for webmaster-access on a couple of sites.
Special after the "remember Me" function is add.

Therefore I use a smaller account for daily use and only the webmaster account when needed.
That give some extra work with permissions, but I think it's worth it.

"I am too afraid to be paranoid"

ghia
  • 2008/10/31 0:11

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
I just think it is a great idea.

That's why it was implemented in the 2.2.x series!
You had to 'activate' the blocks by selecting them from a dropdown list control and then they did show up in the blocklist.

For login, https is provided via a preference setting.

Login

Who's Online

258 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 258

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits