DarinAllan
[fixed] Private Messaging module 2.3

Hello, I am at my wits end, for the life of me I can not get the private messaging module to work! I have upgraded to 2.3.0 from 2.0.18.2, honestly I have tried everything, so I thought it be best to ask, before I go crazy.

When the module is activated I can no longer receive PMs, I can send them, but they will not show up until I deactivate the module. When it is activated I can see that I have a message, but can not see it in the inbox. To see it I have to deactivate it and all is fine. When it's active I can see the saved pms link and the outbox, but no message in any of them.

Debug shows no errors, 0, zilch, in fact the upgrade seem to go fine there was no problems with that process.

Please can someone suggest anything that I can try, or if I am just doing something wrong, please advise. I have been trying to get it going for three days now and I am no closer to an outcome. It just won't work.

Cheers.....Darin ;o)

System Overview

XOOPS Version - XOOPS 2.3.0
PHP Version - 5.2.4
MySQL Version - 5.0.51a-community

DarinAllan
Re: [fixed] Private Messaging module 2.3

ok I took the plunge, dropped the priv_message table on the affected site and replaced it from another site after making adjustments. It seems it had some entries from Lord_Venoms MP module that I used ages ago. Oh well ya live and learn!

Cheers....Darin ;o)

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/14 15:10

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
DarinAllan wrote:

It seems it had some entries from Lord_Venoms MP module that I used ages ago. Oh well ya live and learn!

I think that this is my problem

Did you manage to save the messages that were in the Inbox? If so, how?

I don't have a non-MP module private messages table to import. Presumably I might be able to edit the existing table using phpMyAdmin to match a standard XOOPS 2.3.1 install and preserve the messages?

All help and advice gratefully recieved..... please

DarinAllan

No I wasn't able to save the existing PM's unfortunately, I am not overly confident with databases though, so it certainly doesn't mean that someone more clever than me can't save them.

I only noticed the other day that you can now forward PM's to email, any chance you can ask your users to forward important PM's to their listed email addy. Not a solution, but it's the only thing I can think of. Gee I'm an idiot it probably isn't available if it aint working lol! Doh'

Good luck!

Cheers.....Darin ;o)

Edit: I can send you an empty priv_msgs table if you need it, still not a solution to saving your PMs obviously. It's just a PHPMyAdmin Export backup of the empty (no existing pms) table. You just need to adjust a couple of things that are specific to your database. That's all I did.

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/14 16:46

• Anonymous

• Since:

I got it sorted.

MP Manager adds extra columns to the private messages table when compared to a std XOOPS install.

I just deleted the extra columns (one of which is inserted between two of the standard ones) in phpMyAdmin and the PM module installed like a charm

If anyone wants to know how to fix it then please PM me

Thanks for your help.

DarinAllan

Excellent ;o)

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/14 17:21

• Anonymous

• Since:

For the benefit of those of the community who want to us the PM module that comes with XOOPS 2.3.x (like the system here on xoops.org) but have been previously using Lord Venom's excellent and much more fully featured MP Manager module, it will be necessary to delete the extra fields in the xoop_priv_message table before installing the XOOPS PM module.

This is because the MP Manager module adds extra fields to the table, one of which is inserted in between two of the original fields. The rest of the additional fields appear at the end of the table.

Here's what you do:

1. Deactivate and uninstall the MP Manager module in modules admin.
2. Backup your database
3. Use phpMyAdmin to delete all except the following fields from the your_prefix_priv_messages table:

msg_id
msg_image
subject
from_userid
to_userid
msg_time
msg_text
read_msg

These are the eight fields in a standard XOOPS install (2.0.x and 2.3.x are the same in this regard).

I deleted 5 extra tables from my installation.

The XOOPS 2.3.0 PM module then installed like a charm, no error messages and it all works just fine

I'm happy to help others with this as it's actually rather simple to do. Please PM me.

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits