wingrider101
2.3.0 Final: Could not copy the distribution file to mainfile.php in installation screen 7/11

Could not perform the upgrade from 2.3 RC to 2.3.1 - instructions followed to the letter. Would not allow module admin to see newly added modules, no icons, nothing in the list, nada. So, since it's my own personal site for testing, I blasted the system and database (deleted all) and following installation instructions in the text file, put new 2.3.1 downloaded directly from the "forge" on the system.

Created new user/database in MySQL before install. Checked all permissions. Ran install, and everything goes fine until screen seven of eleven, where I encounter this:

Quote:
Saving your system configuration Could not copy the distribution file to mainfile.php

Re-checked permissions, and all is correct. I did use the mainfile.dist.php for Protector and rename it to mainfile.php prior to install. This is what the instructions said to do. My directory looks like this:

/home/byron/xoops_data
/home/byron/xoops_lib
/home/byron/www

where www is the htdocs directory. Install finds everything just fine and everything is green up to screen 7.

HUH???? OK, so what "distribution file" is it attempting to "copy". I already copied all of the distribution files into the appropriate directories. In the past, mainfile.php was written to directly. Nothing is copied that I know of.

The only thing I did to mainfile.php prior to installation was:

1. copy the protector version mainfile.dist.php into the www directory
2. delete the mainfile.php file
3 rename the mainfile.dist.php file to mainfile.php

Other than that (which the instructions tell me to do), everything else is stone stock shipped distribution.

Any help would be appreciated. I've got my personal site down because of this, and I'm not upgrading any of my client's sites until I know what this is.

By the way, The upgrade procedure this time out needs work badly. We had a nice simple upgrade path in the past, by downloading the upgrade you needed, copying the files, and running it.

It's difficult to figure out now for newbies (and guys with senior moments like me).

Please HELP! This is a NEW install for all intents and purposes, and it's just NOT working.

Byron
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Byron McKay
wingrider101 at gmail dot com
http://byron.homelinux.com
http://www.xoopstyro.com
-------------------------------------
Xoops CMS Intranet sites for Business

wingrider101
Re: 2.3.0 Final: Could not copy the distribution file to mainfile.php in installation screen 7/11

I solved the mystery! The mainfile.dist.php.protector has to be in the htdocs (root) directory, and you need to rename it to mainfile.dist.php FIRST before running install. If you use the mainfile.dist.php file that's in the distribution htdocs directory, you are ok. If you use the mainfile.dist.php.protector, you aren't. You have to rename it first for it to work.

Boy... the docs really don't explain that well.

Good to know though!

Byron
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Byron McKay
wingrider101 at gmail dot com
http://byron.homelinux.com
http://www.xoopstyro.com
Xoops CMS Intranet sites for Business

Anonymous
Re: 2.3.0 Final: Could not copy the distribution file to mainfile.php in installation screen 7/11
  • 2008/10/12 16:27

• Anonymous

• Since:

Caught me out the first time I tried to upgrade from 2.0.18.2 too

I scanned through the instructions and overlooked it. IMHO it should be explicit in the upgrade instructions rather that lost in the text above them.

Glad you're sorted though

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits