dejadingo
Group Permission management and Xoops 3
  • 2008/6/8 15:09

• dejadingo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/22

I've been running non-portal sites for friends the past several years, and I selected XOOPS because I could easily create my own modules and provide an Admin back end they could use without any programming expertise themselves. It was pretty good when I started, but the improvements provided with the ThAdmin module are fantastic!!!

I've made some additions there that now allow me to plug the tabs into my own module admin pages and my success there has encouraged me to try again to put in some more specific user group permissions, both for preference categories in my modules and for additional module based group permissions.

I've downloaded and researched permissions handling in XOOPS 2.3 but I don't see anything new in this area. So, here are my questions :

1) Is anyone already working on extending the permissions management, either in XOOPS 2.x or in XOOPS 3.0, and if so who?

2) Is there a tarball for XOOPS 3 somewhere that I can download for research, or is it only available through SVN, and if so where is the connection information?

I'd like to talk with anyone else working in this area before I go off and hack it in myself. Maybe we can share work/ideas.

Thanks.

phppp
Re: Permission management and Xoops 3
  • 2008/6/8 15:21

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

what kind of permission?
How do you implement?

dejadingo
Re: Group Permission management and Xoops 3
  • 2008/6/8 15:42

• dejadingo

• Just popping in

Sorry. I just edited my post. I'm talking specifically about group permissions here.

There are several modules that go to extreme lengths to provide their own module specific group permission settings, with onInstall SQL inserts and by cloning system files and tweaking them. myAlbum-P is one of them. I want to provide a standard mechanism for
1) adding a module's permissions without the file cloning, and possibly without the onInstall by extending the $modversion array
2) plugging the management of these permissions into the system-wide group permission management

In addition, I want to use config option categories for my own modules and give permission to specific user groups for certain categories. xfguestbook contains a start on the config categories issue, and I have a hack that I can use to plug that into the standard xoops_version.php file in XOOPS 2.2. But even that does not address my desire to permit the categories for only certain groups.

Thanks.

---
Any info on access to the XOOPS 3 code?

phppp
  • 2008/6/8 15:51

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Can you plz work on 2.3.2 branch for the feature?

Meanwhile I am trying to get a working XOOPS 3.0 release as soon as possible.

dejadingo
  • 2008/6/8 16:05

• dejadingo

• Just popping in

OK. So nobody else is currently working on this, but you consider it an appropriate possible core extension?

I know it's not officially blessed, but are there enough people using the 2.3.2 branch that simple sites reasonably might use it? I can put that up on my test site, but it will probably get more action if I put one of my sites up using it instead of the 2.0.18.1 that is currently running.

Thanks, I'll keep watching for XOOPS 3 tarball.

Login

Who's Online

135 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 135

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits