DobePhat
Protector is causing a Sessions issue-
  • 2008/6/7 17:13

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Its been driving us crazy for a few weeks now, people not being able to log in...
We kept dumping sessions to remedy the problem. (Even though its set to no sessions in site preferences).

Finally found the culprit...
My Protector module has been filling up our sessions...
how about that..overzealous its bee storing info on every IP it appears. (all the sessions we wind up dumping refer to protector)

Can anyone point to what settings in Protector can limit this annoyance? Cant seem ti figure out how or why its doing this so often.

Thanks in Advance!

p.s version 3.17 of protector on latest XOOPS release

jayjay
Re: Protector is causing a Sessions issue-
  • 2008/6/8 7:02

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/10

I had the same thing happening, only not to the extent that you saw. My web server was overloaded because of a peak in visitors amount. I enabled the Fastest Cache Hack and the problem was solved.

After analyzing database and session data I saw that Protector took up some serious database traffic. Protector consults the database every time someone visits your site and it stores IP-data for almost every visitor. Most visitors have dynamic IP addresses you know...

I immediately disabled Protector because I can't live with this overhead. I'll protect my server some other way

avtx30
  • 2008/6/8 9:51

• avtx30

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/10/12

FYI. It is not by no means warrantable that Protector will work on XOOPS with version 2.0.17.1 or above (until GIJOE the author confirms that he will support those versions of Xoops)
Xoops Demos:
http://www.nhatban.net/info/a0021.html

trabis
  • 2008/6/8 10:48

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

jayjay wrote:
I had the same thing happening, only not to the extent that you saw. My web server was overloaded because of a peak in visitors amount. I enabled the Fastest Cache Hack and the problem was solved.

After analyzing database and session data I saw that Protector took up some serious database traffic. Protector consults the database every time someone visits your site and it stores IP-data for almost every visitor. Most visitors have dynamic IP addresses you know...

I immediately disabled Protector because I can't live with this overhead. I'll protect my server some other way

Wow, that is useful info for me. I have my server going down for more than a week. I have to get my front page cached in order to keep >200 users online.

In a mather of fact, this happens since I installed protector.
So hey, I´ll try other way to protect my site and test this it protector off. Thanks!

McDonald
  • 2008/6/8 13:50

• McDonald

• Home away from home

• Since: 2005/8/15

I am wondering if Protector is causing the problem with sessions when users try to register as mentioned here.
My XOOPS 2.2.6 website uses Protector 3.17, but disabling or removing Protector is not an option.
Maybe I have to go back to Protector 3.04...

DobePhat
  • 2008/6/9 6:00

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Thanks for sharing info.

Its most helpful, we've been trying to track down several new bugs for sometime now since upgrading XOOPS version. I wonder now if protector and perhaps some other modules have been causing conflict.

Doing some more digging.

jayjay
  • 2008/6/9 7:24

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/10

I like the idea behind XOOPS Protector. Some of these features should be in the XOOPS core but maybe the dev team is working on that already

Anyway, I like the XOOPS_TRUST_PATH concept, the prefix manager and most of the security settings. Too bad it comes at such a high cost. I hope this gets fixed if it ever becomes part of the XOOPS core.

Go XOOPS

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits