tedsmith
How to change the system date format and forum (CBB) date formats to UK style
  • 2008/5/14 19:36

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Hi

I've got CBB 3.08 installed using XOOPS 2.0.18.1. I have a problem with the date formatting of both that moduel and the system date generally. I have re-read his thread and this thread, both of which relate to threads I started about this very issue and still, the issue now evades me once again!!

With previous version of CBB and XOOPS I have always edited a file to change the date format to the UK style of Day/Month/Year, e.g. 31/05/2008 based on the PHP settings.

However, last time I tried I just couldn't get it to work, despite doing everything that I'd done before which meant editing the following files :

root/language/english/global.php
root/modules/newbb/language/english/main.php
root/Frameworks/xoops22/language/english/local.php

I gave up months ago but I'm fed up of it not being right for my UK user base.

If anyone can shed some light on which files to adjust which differ to those already mentioned above for both my sites global date display settings and for CBB, I'd be very much obliged, because it's defeating me!!

I have also deleted the content of templates_c and cache folders and F5'd my browser.

Ted

Anonymous
Re: How to change the system date format and forum (CBB) date formats to UK style
  • 2008/5/14 21:46

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi Ted,

I changed these files:

root/language/english/global.php
root/Frameworks/xoops22/language/english/local.php

However, I also changed this one:

/root/Frameworks/compat/language/english/local.php

You need this code in the above file:

if(!defined("_YEARMONTHDAY")) {

define("_TODAY""Today H:i");

define("_YESTERDAY""Yes\te\rday H:i");

define("_MONTHDAY""d/m/Y H:i");

define("_YEARMONTHDAY""d/m/Y H:i");
}

This will sort you out

You have a PM

HTH

Anonymous
Re: How to change the system date format and forum (CBB) date formats to UK style
  • 2008/5/14 21:58

• Anonymous

• Since:

PS: Search on here for "CBB date format" as there's a few posts knocking about, including this one:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=288441#forumpost288441

Can't remember where I found out about it though.....

Anyway, you should be sorted now

Catzwolf
  • 2008/5/15 3:42

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

This has been one of my annoyances with Xoops. I think many users what agree with me that it is about time that the webmaster should be able to set the 'global' timestamp of their website. So regardless of what the module states it should be, it would show the same regardless.

Anonymous
  • 2008/5/15 8:06

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi Catz,

I agree with you but, to be fair, many modules do this. There are some modules that go one better let you choose either the "core" date format or set one specific to the module. The News modules is one of these and this, to me, seems to be the ideal.

The worst module that I've used on my site is wiwimod; this required something more than an edit to language file.

IIRC, I had to edit one of the core files that writes to/reads from the database. Messed it up the first time; the value of a backup wasn't lost on me

tedsmith
  • 2008/5/15 15:06

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!! Months I've put up with awkward looking dates (awkward for us English folk) and that was indeed the file that I needed to change. They now all show correctly - both system and CBB dates.

It's madness that such steps are necessary though. I also agree. XOOPS is great but I am amazed that the date formatting that appears in some modules has not been applied to the core system. I only do basic PHP programming but I can't imagine that with something as well structured as XOOPS that it would be too hard.

What's more is that even when you find a PHP file with date settings, why do so many appear to require changing? Maybe it's only the last one in Frameworks/Compat/... that needs to be changed but I'm not going to start tweaking them any further!

Lets hope the core dev's do ineed build this into XOOPS soon.

Thanks gents - I owe you a beer!!

Ted

Anonymous
  • 2008/5/15 16:45

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
tedsmith wrote:

Thanks gents - I owe you a beer!!

I'll hold you to that

Resized Image

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits