emcher
News vs. Articles
  • 2008/5/5 2:46

• emcher

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/16

I'm a new user. Got a site installed. Have news and AMS installed.

What determines which one, if not both, you should use? What is the difference between news and articles in the XOOPS world?

Anonymous
Re: News vs. Articles
  • 2008/5/5 9:17

• Anonymous

• Since:

In my own mind (and therefore on my site!), I use a content module (e.g. article, SmartSection, etc) for categorised information/pages.

I use the News module for, well, News The News module is used to display items/article chronologically and sequenitally within categories.

Having said that, I know that many sites use their content module for both functions. However, I decided to use separate modules for flexibility, e.g. if I found a content module that I preferred then News would be unaffected if I changed.

HTH

emcher
  • 2008/5/5 14:14

• emcher

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/16

Thanks John. That did help. However, what's your thoughts on something like the AMS module, where it says it's a direct replacement for the News module?

Sorry if you think you answered that.

Ron

Anonymous
  • 2008/5/5 15:05

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi again,

I've not used the AMS module myself, so I'm probably not best placed to comment.

I use News 1.56 and SmartSection 2.13 on my site (Http://www.llanmon.org.uk/) - take a look and see if that combination "floats your boat"

Peekay
  • 2008/5/5 19:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

News is great, but for some reason, the developer recently changed the way the news archive works. Skenow's hack - mentioned in this thread - 'un-does' the change and makes it work the way most news editors will expect it to.

I only mention this because the archive feature is one of this module's strengths IMHO.

I use the hack in News 1.54 but check before you apply it to any later versions as things may well have changed again.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

274 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 274

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits