barryc
URGENT: Can't log in under any name
  • 2008/4/21 16:57

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have been out of town for a couple of days and came back to find that I cannot log on to my site under either my admin login name or my test account name. When I try I get the usual message "Thank for for logging in <username>" but then I get an error message saying "Sorry, you don't have the permission to access this area. If the page does not automatically reload, please click here". The page does not reload and clicking on the here link doesn't work.

The worst of this is that I called my provider and they told me that they do not have any backups for my site and that they do backups but don't guarantee to do so for each account. That is news for me and will probably result in my moving to a new provider.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest a way to fix this problem. At present I am downloading a full archival backup of all my files. It would be an absolute disaster to lose all of the information on the site.

My site is running under XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.4.8, mySQL 5.0.45

I hope someone can help me with this soon.

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

stefan88
Re: URGENT: Can't log in under any name
  • 2008/4/21 17:01

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

At present I am downloading a full archival backup of all my files.

make shure you also do a database backup!

Did you try to login from diferent computer and browser?

Can you register new account?

barryc
  • 2008/4/21 17:04

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

The archival backup will include the database files but I'll do a separate db backup once that is finished.

I have tried deleting all files in templates_c but the problem persists.

I have tried logging in from a different computer and different browsers. Same result. I have also had messages from users that they are having the same problem.

Interestingly I just tried creating a new test account and was successful. When I initially replied to the account creation email message the page looped. That is, it didn't automatically reload. However, after logging off and trying again, I can log on using that test name. I could presumably go into the database and make that user account an admin account but I'm not sure how that would help me.

Still hoping for some help.

BC
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

barryc
  • 2008/4/21 21:29

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I have found where the problem lies. Somehow the data in the table *_groups_users_links has been deleted. The only entries that were there were four recently registered individuals, including two test registrations that I did. I am very concerned that this was malicious but don't know how to further investigate that possibility.

I tested this by adding a new entry to that table for my own uid, with the appropriate groupid. I think the linkid must just run sequentially, so I chose a value of 1 for that. Adding that entry to the table allows me to log in.

Now I'm faced with the task of rebuilding that table. At the moment I can't see any way to do that other than manually re-entering each one, with the appropriate group id.

If anyone has any suggestions to avoid that rather mammoth task, please tell me what they are.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

stefan88
  • 2008/4/22 7:04

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Quote:
Now I'm faced with the task of rebuilding that table. At the moment I can't see any way to do that other than manually re-entering each one, with the appropriate group id.

If anyone has any suggestions to avoid that rather mammoth task, please tell me what they are.

How do you have your data? SQL file, csv file? You can import those into your database...

Or if you do not have any data and rebuilding it manualy you can probably make an SQL query (but I can't help on that - I'n not so good with sql) or make it in Excel, export to csv file and import with PHPMyAdmin.

barryc
  • 2008/4/22 7:20

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that all the data for each user is there, except group membership. I lost only one table, namely the one mentioned above. I do have an Excel file, fortunately, containing those individuals who are in the Members group (members of our organization). The problem is, I can't see any way I could use that to enter the group membership for each individual. I've embarked on the task of going through them and selecting the groups they belong to.

What I'd most like to know now is how this happened. I learned one lesson - don't trust a provider.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

xgarb
  • 2008/4/23 10:47

• xgarb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

Quote:

barryc wrote:

Use the group management part of the admin area. If you choose a group and scroll down there's a button to add users to group.

You probably want to add all active users to the registered users group.

Login

Who's Online

127 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 127

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits