CompShack
Question from a Drupal user!
  • 2008/4/12 16:39

• CompShack

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/12

Hi all,

Xoops looks really good! Not sure if I want to switch my site over BUT I have to say that the forum is way better than Drupal.

Is it easy to convert a drupal site to xoops? Is there any modules that will help in this aspect?

Do you think I should switch?!

EDIT: added some feature i'm looking for

Can XOOPS handle the following (This is what I have on my current drupal site):

1. Categories
Example:
-Database
--SQL
--PL/SQL

-Programing languages
--Visual Basic
--PHP
--Java
--C#

-Some other categories and sub-categories

2. Code syntax highlighting
This is a must - I use GeSHi module on my current drupal site. I have lots of code in my posts and this will present them in a very clear easy to follow way.

3. SEO friendly URLs
so url will show as www.yousite.com/a-sample-select-statement

4. Blogs
My current site allows me to give users their own blog on the site. Example, if I have a user with username "test1" then they can have their blog at www.yousite.com/test1.

5. Does XOOPS allow guest posts? If so, how does it protect against spam? I use CAPTCHA on my drupal site to limit spam.

This is all what I can think of at the moment.

Thanks for you help.

sarahmx
Re: Question from a Drupal user!
  • 2008/4/12 18:46

• sarahmx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/10/28

i googled and i found this
http://drupal.org/node/167541
a script to convert XOOPS 2.2x series to drupal

i know this not what you wanted but maybe you can take a look and make it work the otherway around...

but please note the current stable and recommended XOOPS is 2.018.1 (2.0 series)
- 2.0 and 2.2 is not the same
- 2.0 and 2.2 series will be merged soon from what i know..to become 2.3

good luck..

tom
  • 2008/4/12 20:08

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I like Drupal, I've been a fan for a while, I also love Joomla, XOOPS, and another un-named CMS too.

If your serious about porting over, then I would consider looking at D3Forum module, this is far more secure, newbb has a few issues, and apparently has flaws which allow people to view private area's, which could be detrimental to your website regarding the data protection act.

D3Forums Module - Download

It might not look as fancy, but you can play with the templates and make it look really special.

There is also Newbbex

http://xoops.instant-zero.com/

Goog luck and have fun with XOOPS
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

CompShack
  • 2008/4/12 21:17

• CompShack

• Just popping in

Can XOOPS handle the following (This is what I have on my current drupal site):

1. Categories
Example:
-Database
--SQL
--PL/SQL

-Programing languages
--Visual Basic
--PHP
--Java
--C#

This is a must - I use GeSHi module on my current drupal site. I have lots of code in my posts and this will present them in a very clear easy to follow way.

3. SEO friendly URLs

4. Blogs
My current site allows me to give users their own blog on the site. Example, if I have a user with username "test1" then they can have their blog at www.yousite.com/test1.

5. Does XOOPS allow guest posts? If so, how does it protect against spam? I use CAPTCHA on my drupal site to limit spam.

This is all what I can think of at the moment.

Thanks for you help

damaster
  • 2008/4/12 22:42

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Hi CompShack,

You should go definetely with modules built on
XOOPS_TRUST_PATH and D3 concept by Minahito
programmer of XOOPS Cube and great contributor
to XOOPS and open source.

Altsys
Library required by D3 modules
Improve interoperability of D3 modules
Manage and Personalize blocks, templates, language catalogs
D3 modules can be easily 'cloned', copy and renaming module folder
D3blog
+ Easy to use
+ Easy to clone
Pico
+ Categories and subcategories with permissions by group and by user
+ Easy extension including scripts (GeSHi) on 'header' of categories, subcategories and documents.
+ Easy to personalize templates and language catalog
+ 'Capture' content from a document to another
+ Forms management
+ url rewrite for SEO friendly URLs
+ Diff

Modules Developed by Gijoe athttp://peak.ne.jp/xoops

Note:
A secured version of Fckeditor for D3 modules is available from Gijoe's web site.

You may try "Xigg" that can run as module or standalone application. It's developed by Ono, the founder of Xoops.

Xigg benefits from Ono experience and its released with an ergonomic user interface and an extensible "plugin" system. Among other useful known libraries and features, Xigg manages Categories and Tags, automated screenshots but also provide an high level of social interaction.

Another solution could be Xigg with "preloads" of XOOPS
Cube Legacy, not yet implemented on Xoops. That let you extend your CMS with extra features without hacking the core and while you benefit from html purifier and safe type emulator ^^
Any way many solutions around.
Whatever you choose,

Have Fun !
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

tom
  • 2008/4/12 22:44

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Hi CompShack,

XOOPS doesn't do any of that, XOOPS should be considered as a framework and is modular, so you need to find modules which fulfil your requirements, imagine these modules are extensions to XOOPS.

Everything you describe is achievable.

Quote:
1. Categories
Example:
-Database
--SQL
--PL/SQL

-Programing languages
--Visual Basic
--PHP
--Java
--C#

Are these categories going to be in a forum module, or a sections module, either way yes they could be added to a module.

Quote:

If this is for the forums, then there is a basic form, however if you want something more elaborate this would require a little more hacking.

I don't suppose you have a link for me to see exactly how your current solution works.

Quote:
3. SEO friendly URLs

Yes, but requires some hacking depending on the actual module.

Quote:
4. Blogs

You would need to consider something like the wordpress module, or yogurt which is great for social networking. There is also XSNS - Social Networking Service, but I'm not sure that works with XOOPS at the moment. There is also XOOPS life type.

Quote:

Yes for guest comments, and I believe most modules, CAPTCHA is not bullet proof though, I'm not sure of how widely it's been adapted.

Hope this is of some help.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

stefan88
  • 2008/4/13 4:58

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi and welcome to XOOPS

Quote:
Quote:
1. Categories
Example:
-Database
--SQL
--PL/SQL

-Programing languages
--Visual Basic
--PHP
--Java
--C#

Are these categories going to be in a forum module, or a sections module, either way yes they could be added to a module.

Also you can use empty (virtual) module for each of the categories (and have something like a page) and asign coresponding blocks to that module.

Quote:
Quote:

If this is for the forums, then there is a basic form, however if you want something more elaborate this would require a little more hacking.

No problems here. Geshi will be (is part) of next XOOPS 2.3 (alpha at the moment, so not recomeded for production). Also it is part of this forum module (CBB. In fact it is part of frameworks that you will have to install if you want to use CBB) and tynieditor module.

Quote:
Quote:
4. Blogs

You would need to consider something like the wordpress module, or yogurt which is great for social networking. There is also XSNS - Social Networking Service, but I'm not sure that works with XOOPS at the moment. There is also XOOPS life type.

Also available in popnupblog - each user may have own blog - auto approved or after admin approve. posting by mail and so on.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes for guest comments, and I believe most modules, CAPTCHA is not bullet proof though, I'm not sure of how widely it's been adapted.

Some modules have CAPTHA build in, others have hacks. There are also some modules that may help - protector and netquery

There are some users that have experience with Drupal - look for nachenko, and may be more helpfull.

Do you happen to know something like "Drupal for XOOPS users" or "Drupal for dummies"? I wanted to learn more about drupal, but it is hard to start when familiar with something else - diferent terms and way to do things ...

phppp
  • 2008/4/13 13:07

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

3. SEO friendly URLs
URL-rewrite will be implemented in XOOPS 3 core.
Currently there are some tutorials on xoops.org to enable SEO friendly URL hacks

4. Blogs
LifeType module will be among the top multi-user blog modules once XOOPS 2.3 Beta is released.
Currently you may give the module a try on XOOPS 2.0.*

BTW: drupal has different way of dealing with "core", which XOOPS can learn from.

CompShack
  • 2008/4/13 15:40

• CompShack

• Just popping in

Thanks you all for feedback - I'm starting to feel at home already!

Here is where I stand. I have put so much time and effort to understand Drupal and have been using it for about 6 months now. And as stefan88 said:
Quote:
it is hard to start when familiar with something else - diferent terms and way to do things ...

That being said, I really like how XOOPS handles things. I have installed and played with both the News module and the AMS module. News felt more powerful but thought to be still lacking in some aspects. For example, I can't assign an article to more than one topic, something you could easily do in Drupal.

I also played with Newbb 2 forum, and have to admit, you can't compare Drupal core forum or even the comment module for that matter to XOOPS. XOOPS wins hands down and this is something drupal developers can learn from.

Drupal also has a module called Book module (comes with core) and it is the best module I have ever seen to organize content.

I also love the notification options that XOOPS give users. It is a nice way of keeping users up to date on topics of intereset.

Now let me answer some questions from previous posts.
Quote:
Do you happen to know something like "Drupal for XOOPS users" or "Drupal for dummies"? I wanted to learn more about drupal, but it is hard to start when familiar with something else - diferent terms and way to do things ...

I hear you there, same goes for XOOPS! - I don't have anything like that but you are more than welcome to email your questions and i will do my best to get back to you ASAP.

Quote:
4. Blogs
LifeType module will be among the top multi-user blog modules once XOOPS 2.3 Beta is released.
Currently you may give the module a try on XOOPS 2.0.*

I will be playing with this today and will report back!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
1. Categories
Example:
-Database
--SQL
--PL/SQL

-Programing languages
--Visual Basic
--PHP
--Java
--C#

Also you can use empty (virtual) module for each of the categories (and have something like a page) and asign coresponding blocks to that module.

You lost me here, I have no idea what you mean by this :)

Thanks again guys for such a wonderful feedback.

Anonymous
  • 2008/4/13 16:07

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
CompShack wrote:

I also played with Newbb 2 forum, and have to admit, you can't compare Drupal core forum or even the comment module for that matter to XOOPS. XOOPS wins hands down and this is something drupal developers can learn from.

Newbb is old compared to CBB3.08, which you can get from one of the links in phppp's sig (see post above). you will need the "Frameworks" and "xoopseditors" from that site too.

A different approach is taken by GIJOE in his D3Forum. If I understand it correctly, this integrates both the forums and the comment systems.

Whilst your at GIJOE's site, get the Protector module (go for v3.16beta - it's fine!)

Quote:
CompShack wrote:

Drupal also has a module called Book module (comes with core) and it is the best module I have ever seen to organize content.

Take a look at SmartSection 2.13 fromhttp://www.smartfactory.ca/ and there's also phppp's article module.

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits