bdkraven
News On Front Page Issues
  • 2008/3/10 17:13

• bdkraven

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/11/12

Hey everyone. I've used XOOPS to set up a few pages now with News for the front page and they've all worked well until now.

Currently, I have a 2.0.18 version of XOOPS running on my server and News 1.56 installed. I've set it up to have the "main news" appear on the front page, the only problem is that no matter what I do it won't appear. (Yes, I've clicked the bubble for show on main page)

I haven't touch the templates yet (just switched between the two defaults) so it SHOULD just show the main news right on the front page like it always has before but it isn't doing that.

midday.brandon-jackson.com

That's the site but I don't know that it'll help. I'm just wondering if there's a known issue with any of the versions or if someone else has run into this problem and it was because of a simple error?

I'm doing it for a job/school project (the final one before I graduate) and would appreciate the help soon if I can get it as classes end this week.

Thanks in advance.

mawi27
Re: News On Front Page Issues
  • 2008/3/10 17:29

• mawi27

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/1/1 1

What type of block do you use on your front page?
Have you activated the topic "Main News" to display in your block settings?
--
Match Dart!
Darts Ranking, News, Videos, Forum and more

bdkraven
  • 2008/3/10 17:57

• bdkraven

• Just popping in

The only blocks I have on the main page are the standard system blocks (menus etc) and then I have the search bar, archive and latest news on the right.

I've tried the "Main News" but it only shows the topics etc.

mawi27
  • 2008/3/10 18:38

• mawi27

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/1/1 1

You have the following possibilities to show the news on your front page:

- in system admin \ preferences \ general settings set the "Module for your start page" to "News"

alternatively add a news block to your front page:

- system admin \ blocks \
click on edit for a news block e.g. Recent News
make the following settings:

block type: center block - center
visible : yes
visible in: top page
select topics to use: Main News

click submit

You will then see your news as headlines on your front page. Experiment a bit with the different news blocks and all their settings to get a layout that suits you.
--
Match Dart!
Darts Ranking, News, Videos, Forum and more

stefan88
  • 2008/3/10 18:50

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

In short, you need to put a block on top page to show the news (unliess you set the news module to be your starting page).

Option 1 - there was a block in news module, where you can set in block options to display not just topic, but also text, however I never had any luck with it, so I can't help you much on that.

Option 2 - You can use Spotlight module (xmSpotlight for example - tryhttp://bandit-x.net or search arround) to display news like on xoops.org. This is more flexible solution.

In both cases you will have to set proper group permitions.

bdkraven
  • 2008/3/11 8:10

• bdkraven

• Just popping in

Thanks everyone. This worked. I didn't remember doing this on my previous sites but its been a little while.

I've been tired lately too so that factored in I'm sure.

Thanks.

bdkraven
  • 2008/3/11 22:42

• bdkraven

• Just popping in

Okay, I think I've gotten everything work. I never knew about the spotlight thing (the one built into the NEWS module).

I'd love to use the block so I can have more room to move things around but inside the spotlight I can't get the comments to show along with the full story. Does anyone know of a quick/easy edit for this?

Also, when I edit the themes for the blocks, save the html file and then upload it, nothing changes. I had this problem before with them and its been a year so I can't remember how I fixed it.

I did the following: Changed the update theme tab in the settings. Updated the module and also logged out, removed cache and signed back in and the theme still holds the old theme look.

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits