zuluDROOG
Newbbex edit message function
  • 2007/12/5 1:45

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/9/18

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem with NewBBex (Forumex). I'm looking for a way to prevent users from editing or deleting their posts. Does anyone know how I can configure this or is there a clever person that can suggest a hack please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as our newly created community website is growing bigger and faster than we anticipated. Thanks!

Xoops v2.0.16
NewBBex (Forumex) v1.4

script_fu
Re: Newbbex edit message function

I do not have this module installed. Please provide a link to where you downloaded the module.

Seem to me you just need to adjust your permissions.

stefan88
  • 2007/12/5 15:37

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

It is Herves newbbx:

http://xoops.instant-zero.com/modules/pages/index.php?pagenum=3

zuluDROOG
  • 2007/12/6 4:53

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

Thanks for replying so quickly guys!

Thanks Stefan88, yes that's the module.

There are no permission settings that I can find for this module. The only options that are presented to the admin are:

Add a Forum
Edit a Forum
Set 
Private Forum Permissions
Sync forum
/topic index
Add a Category
Edit a Category Title
Remove a Category
Re
-Order Categories
Preferences
--+
             |--
Show private titles and forums?
             |--
Enable Notification

+--Enable Specific Events

If there are other options/permissions for Newbbex they're well hidden. I'd be asking this question on the Newbbex forums but my account application is still being processed.

Can any of you XOOPS gurus recommend another forum module that DOES let us set edit/delete permissions? (and will import our existing forum data?)

Thanks in advance! :)

script_fu

I will install this and report back in a few...

Anyway...

Cbb 3.08

Do not forget to dowload frameworks

I have never tried to import from Newbbex. You would half to wait for a response from Dj or Bandit.

script_fu

Yep registered user can edit their own posts. Im sure its has a time limit related to it. I am looking around in the code but have not found it yet. I do not see where they can delete the post?

You could hack the edit function.

modules/newbbex/templates/newbbex_thread.html

<{if $viewer_is_admin == true}>

and

modules/newbbex/edit.php

if (!$xoopsUser->isAdmin

The million dollar question is where to place the code. Also the php code is not right im sure some other things need to be added.

Its a start...

Hopefully someone will come along with the correct answer.

Will_H
  • 2007/12/6 16:54

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I believe the permissions per forum are located in the edit forum section. I haven't had newbbex installed in a long while though.

If you really want to prevent users from editing and deleting you could just remove the buttons from the template.

zuluDROOG
  • 2007/12/7 12:37

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

Quote:

script_fu wrote:
I will install this and report back in a few...

Anyway...

Cbb 3.08

Thanks script_fu, I've co-installed Newbb and I'm trialling it with the ladies who frequent our new site. I'm surprised by the increased features, security and flxibility it provides. Only God knows why I wanted to install NewbbEx in the first place! :)

zuluDROOG
  • 2007/12/7 12:44

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

Quote:

script_fu wrote:
I do not see where they can delete the post?

You're right, my bad. There is no delete function. But the EDIT function doesn't time out. I've tested this extensively.

Quote:

You could hack the edit function.

Nah, I thought about that but I don't like to cruel scripts in case I cripple them for upgradability.

Quote:
Hopefully someone will come along with the correct answer.

Well, at this stage, hopefully someone will come along with a nice script that will import my NewbbEx data into Newbb without me having to manually copy the tables with fingers crossed.

zuluDROOG
  • 2007/12/7 12:50

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

Quote:

Will_H wrote:
I believe the permissions per forum are located in the edit forum section. I haven't had newbbex installed in a long while though.

Hi Will, no, they're not unfortunately. I've been through the admin section more than a few times and it comes up short all the time.

Quote:
If you really want to prevent users from editing and deleting you could just remove the buttons from the template.

Yeah, I thought of that. But I don't want a #OOPS#ised forum. Plus, now that I've seen NewBB I can see that there are extra security and other features that I really need. Any ideas on importing data from my old forum?

I see that a lot of the tables are identical... just a few added tables in Newbb. OK, not just a few... a LOT.

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits