confusedpaul
Japanese Site

Hey everyone,

I am in the midst of making my first site, not just first using XOOPS but first ever. So please bear with me if my question seems newbie-ish...

The site I am building is not very complicated, just a download section and a news section. Thing thing that I am having problem is making it a bilingual site, particularly making Japanese characters appear. I have been trying to use xlanguage, but I can't get any Japanese to appear.

If anyone out there has built a Japanese/English site before the I would really apprieciate some advice.

Thanks,

stefan88
Re: Japanese Site
  • 2007/11/10 12:06

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

you need to have extra language files in XOOPSROOT/language/EXTRALANGUAGE (in your case japanese) and XOOPSROOT/modules/system/language/EXTRALANGUAGE. (Or the extra language will not be available to select when adding as base language in xLanguage admin)

Add the line in XOOPSROOT/include/common.php to call xLanguage API.

Then from xLanguage admin add both (english and japanese) as base languages.

Eable the block to select language or add smarty to your theme.

For each module you will need to add the extralanguage files...

DCrussader

Quote:

Hope you'll find here people to made your xoops
admin interfaces, themes, whatever

Check user base Damaster my XOOPS have more sources of information, and re-read Catz post again, twice if u cant catch it from the first read....

Stfan88 gives partial solution how have to be done, in addition....:

Before XOOPS 2.0.17.1 installation begins(damn old and good release), you have to set database tables to use 'utf8_general_ci', then try with Stefan88 instructions (and in future, first check the included README file, before posting here or elsewhere) or check the User Guide from phpPP author of XLanguage 3.0

Copy & Paste from the included readme.txt from xoops-module-xlanguage-300.zip, downloaded from
http://xoopsforge.com/

User guide
----------
1 install "xlanguage" as a regular module

2 insert one line

include_once XOOPS_ROOT_PATH.'/modules/xlanguage/api.php';

into XOOPS/include/common.php 
    RIGHT BEFORE 

// #################### Include site-wide lang file ##################

if ( file_exists(XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/language/".$xoopsConfig['language']."/global.php") ) {
            include_once 
XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/language/".$xoopsConfig['language']."/global.php";
        } else {
            include_once 
XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/language/english/global.php";
        }

3 modify language/LocalLanguage/global.phptake "schinese" as example

//%%%%%        LANGUAGE SPECIFIC SETTINGS   %%%%%
    //define('_CHARSET', 'GB2312');
    //define('_LANGCODE', 'zh-CN');

define('_CHARSET', empty($xlanguage["charset"])?'GB2312':$xlanguage["charset"]);

define('_LANGCODE', empty($xlanguage["code"])?'zh-CN':$xlanguage["code"]);

$xlanguage['charset_base'] = "gb2312";

4 select basic langauges (from an available language list) and add extended languages (upon a selected basic languagefrom module admin page

for instanceto make language switch betweenEnglishSimplified Chinese (gb2312), Traditional Chinese (big5) and UTF-8 Chinese:

base 1:     nameenglish;         description(optional): English;             charsetiso-8859-1;     codeen (or anyother like "xen"not a true language codejust the tag for indicating English content)

base 2:     nameschinese;     description(optional): Simplified Chinese;     charsetgb2312;         codezh (or anyother like "sc"not a true language codejust the tag for indicating Chinese content)

extended lang of schinese 1nametchinese;     description(optional): Traditional Chinese;         charsetbig5     codezh-TW (the true language code of Traditional Chinese)        baseschinese
    extended lang of schinese 2
nameutf8;         description(optional): Simplified Chinese UTF-8;     charsetutf-8     codezh-CN (the true language code of Simplified Chinese)        baseschinese

5 make the block 
"langauge selection" visible

6 add multilingual content with according tags sepcified 
for each base language (in step 4to your modulestemplates or themes[Skip this step if you do not use multi-language content display but only use charset encoding]: 

wrap content of each language with respective tag specified in step 4:
    [
langcode1]Content of the language1[/langcode1] [langcode2]Content of the language2[/langcode2] [langcode3]Content of the language3[/langcode3] ...
    if 
two or more languages have same contentyou do not need add them one by one but use delimiter "|":    
    [
langcode1|langcode2]Content shared by language1&2[/langcode1|langcode2] [langcode3]Content of the language3[/langcode3] ...

a true example (suppose the lang_codes specified in step 4 areEnglish-enFrench-frSimplifiedChiense-sc):
    [
en]My XOOPS[/en][fr]Moi XOOPS[/fr][sc]ОТยตДXOOPS[/sc]

OR:
    [
english|french]This is my content in English and French[/english|french][schinese]ЦРОДДЪИЭ[/schinese]

7 automatic conversion of content from one charset(extended languageto another [Actually on action needed in this step]

8 __if__ you would like to insert hardcoded scripts for language switch in your theme or any template besides the language selection box:

1modify /modules/xlanguage/api.php "$xlanguage_theme_enable = true;"

2config options "$options = array("images", " ", 5); // display mode, delimitor, number per line";

3insert "<{$smarty.const.XLANGUAGE_SWITCH_CODE}>" into your theme or template files anywhere you prefer it present

p.s. and Damaster, if anyone is a part of XOOPS Cube (Legacy), Cube or whatever call it community, how u will describe the provided shot, and what's the solution for it ? To use IE to administrate your Cube 2.1.2 site, or ? Such things can't happen here. At least if some bugs comes in the final, ppl work as team to solve it. What means official (primary) support site without a word from the main developer. Onokazu vs. phppp, who have more posts :).

Provided Screenshot is a bug exist and reported from 2.1.0 RC1.... still no words
May The Source Be With You!

gtop00
  • 2007/11/10 14:15

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Quote:

What is the subject of the topic ?

It was about the ability of XOOPS to support multilanguage sites like Japanese/English, which is possible.

The question asked by a new member having 1 post. Can we advice him how?

All the rest you wrote here are meaningless.

stefan88
  • 2007/11/10 14:38

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Quote:
Can we advice him how?

at least we try - see #8 and #9 ...

ForumModerator1

I have moved posts by Damaster, DCrussader, catzwolf and Vaughan to this forum where you are free to go on with your personal battles off topic discussions.
[Edit: adjustment to the wording of the reason for the removal of the posts has been made. Please remain on topic.]

My apologies to confusedpaul, I hope you get some more useful answers soon.

ForumModerator1

Catzwolf
  • 2007/11/10 16:48

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

To forum Moderator one. I am putting forward a complaint about you putting me in with this, I answered the post in a constructive manner and I was not having a personal attack against anyone. Next time read the posts rather than jumping to your own conclusion.

Anonymous
  • 2007/11/10 17:28

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi Catz,

I suspect that FM1 moved your post along with the others because it wasn't addressing the subject of the thread, i.e. it was part of an off-topic discussion in a thread started by a new users' first post. Leaving your post as a "stand alone" wouldn't have made a lot of sense after the others were removed.

The "personal battles" comment was aimed at others, I'm sure. Perhaps FM1 will reconsider the wording of the post.

If you wish to complain about FM1 and the actions taken then, in the first instance, please direct it to kc0maz (Community Coordination Team Leader).

Cheers

damaster
  • 2007/11/10 18:24

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

What a mess

Well, everything is on the title : Japanese site !

So, isn't there a xoops.jp support site ?

You will need the module Protector from Gijoe
to secure the last release 2.0.17.1
Don't ask me why?

So, check also his site for a multilanguage solution
here is the link to The Easiest Multi-Language Hack (EMLH) 1.25

As you will see, his site is running multilanguage content EN/JP

Have Fun !

I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits