wishcraft
Anti Bot Hack - Captcha

I wrote to phppp, to see if I can get this written in, it is an antibot hack for the registration process, make sure you put it in the right paths and chmod the one directory in uploads you need.

I have a fully working none beta validation patch for XOOPS 2.0.16, I went to email it around but I notices there have been a few spammers??

You can download it athttp://www.chronolabs.org.au/bin/xoopsAntiBotSignup.zip I was hoping you could add it to the security modules section of the site, as I found when advertising XOOPS on a large system it gets alot of robots signing up.. well at least here in the australian sites.

Hope you like it!! Requires the GD2 Library to be enabled to generate the turing key.

Thanks
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

mrundell
Re: Anti Bot Hack - Captcha
  • 2008/1/17 11:27

• mrundell

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/6/8 1

make sure you put it in the right paths and chmod the one directory in uploads you need.

Hmm which directory and the GD2 lib is confusing on the site? Why not just include in the module?

Anyhow its my opinion that this as well as a subscription type of user.php needs to be incorporated in XOOPS system module as well as this captcha for all contact, signup or registration forms as well as the ability to turn the register.php off.

I'm working on the user.php to allow free membership, paid or turn it off. I haven't had time with all this to worry about captcha sytem wide but I guess I will have to address it in the future...

Why are you using GD2 lib instead of Exif Functions?

Anonymous
  • 2008/1/17 11:32

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
mrundell wrote:

Why are you using GD2 lib instead of Exif Functions?

Just a thought here - perhaps because not all paid-for hosting offers exif functionality on its servers whereas most offer GD2 support?

My host only added exif support in the last couple of week.

irmtfan
  • 2008/1/17 11:37

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

i hope the new security system introduce in the 2.3. visitors dont like CAPTCHA so we should use CPATCHA as the last solution when all other ways failed

mrundell
  • 2008/1/17 12:34

• mrundell

• Just popping in

yah I'm probably spoiled? I always buy the best linux servers possible with all the toys loaded for my customers which I host. Just check with the server farm people and they said I have both GD 2 and Exif installed in php. Lucky me!
I think captcha is a necessity and as you see most major corporations have gone to it so I think it will be a ram roded to the consumer and become a industry standard.
Don't get me wrong, I like XOOPS cms a lot and wish to continue its development mostly in my own interest since I develop web sites for companies. I found a lot of the other cms programs lacking the proper framework leaving a lot of desired modules. TYPO3 which I also use is not consumer friendly and only used when client request it. I really like the mastop_publish. Nice module however I'm rewriting it to tie into the selected theme, some clerical errors, and adding/upgrading file handling user interfaces.
All in all I'm saying that XOOPS needs more control on register.php function as per most of my clients desire to have access control with payment options available. From what I've seen most attempts so far have been poor hack jobs or required some type of payment for a simple paypal postback which is easily done with a few lines of code (shameless to charge for a module/payment gateways when its open source!).

Major key components I see to make XOOPS a do all CMS are:
1-WYSIWYG included in system block editor
2-Do all publisher- like mastop_publisher
3-register signup-free, paid, or turn it off..
4-ticket contact system like osticket
5-Captcha option off/on for register, contact ect....

mboyden
  • 2008/1/17 20:06

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

The captcha system also needs an audio capability as many users have sight disability (aka blind) and can't use captcha. So, it absolutely must be optional and/or have audio reading of the text as well (which means soon we'll need to add audio noise to it as well to break automated audio captcha slurpers - lol).
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

mrundell
  • 2008/1/20 14:56

• mrundell

• Just popping in

Can spam bots be stopped by a voice turing test?

SteffJay
  • 2008/1/22 16:07

• SteffJay

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/1/21

I have tried every conceivable variation of installing this without avail. I do have the log in screen but where the picture is supposed to be, there is a little white box with a red square in it. All the suggested folders have been CHMOD'ed 777 but still it is not working. Is there something I'm missing here? I have not altered any of the php scripts that came with it and i cannot use the debugging facility because it is purely in the registering procedure so no output is visible. I only wish that these good people would write a detailed of "how-to" when they submit these things so noob's like myself can (at the very least) get things to work.

Peekay
  • 2008/1/22 17:35

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

mrundell wrote:
Can spam bots be stopped by a voice turing test?

Nice idea! Perhaps one day we'll have a 'BladeRunner' module which will work something like this
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits