jeffgr
what do you think about this?
  • 2007/10/26 3:13

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Hi everyone,

In the development my XOOPS support site, XoopsExperts.com, I am hoping to create directory areas for both XOOPS modules and XOOPS themes. Yes, I know that there are already other official and unofficial repositories for both, but I want to host some on my own site as well, both for the convienience of my visitors, and also because I just don't like the way some other directory sites are organized (too hard to browse through the themes quickly, for example).

I thought that for most of the downloads, I would just provide a screen shot, and then a link to the download site. I wouldn't directly link to the downloaded file, but to the download page that is on instead (so, no direct leaching of files).

1. I wanted to know what module and theme creators would think about this scenario described above.

2. Scenario 2: What about if I hosted the theme and module files myself... is that even legal under the GPL, and just as importantly, how would a module or theme developer consider this scenario?

I am trying to find out what the proper "Xoops etiquette" is here before I take any actions... help me out! :)

Thanks for your thoughts,

jeffgr

skenow
Re: what do you think about this?
  • 2007/10/26 3:41

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Have you discussed options with other such sites? I think the proper etiquette would be to ask them directly. I've dealt with a few of the folks and they seem quite reasonable when approached.

Login

Who's Online

214 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 214

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits