Opterongeek
I've nearly had it...

When I first started using Xoops, it just worked. I installed it, I installed modules that were included with the default ZIP, and the bloody thing WORKED.

I have spent 3 days between posts on these forums, the dev forums and many more on google trying to figure out why I get blank pages when I do stupid silly things like update a module because I made a change (within the panel, not with the raw code) or because I want to change the readouts on a poll.

What really bothers me is that the default installation of XOOPS does NOT include the modules that it used to come with.

Sure, I can go find the modules from the downloads page, but this site has gone the way of the dodo in terms of what's available to me to use.

Fine, I admit, I want something turnkey, but that's what XOOPS was when I found it. Does anyone have a zip file of the core XOOPS CMS with the WORKING versions of Poll, Forums, and all the other addons without it being open to every security breach out there? I won't touch the other CMS SYstems because I think they're clumsy and unrefined. I'm going to add XOOPS to that soon because it's getting stupid how I have to refer to articles written 2+ years ago on subject matter that was updated a week ago.

part of this problem is also with the dev site. It's impossible to find anything (I can't find links worth anything because they blend in so well with the normal text).

Sorry guys, I'm just not one of these code jockies that can dive into the code and fix something myself. I'm decent with the basics, but I've watched XOOPS singlehandedly fall from grace and it annoys me.

I'm still open to packages that just flat out work, but I'm not going to sit and troubleshoot blank pages until I'm blue in the face. I'm done with that part.

debianus
Re: I've nearly had it...
  • 2007/10/1 22:58

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

Try Started Modules Pack by Sato-San

Quote:
Sure, I can go find the modules from the downloads page, but this site has gone the way of the dodo in terms of what's available to me to use.

Absolutelly yes; the module repository is closed; you would be angry: try find a module in dev forge, author page, or module repository.

Quote:
part of this problem is also with the dev site. It's impossible to find anything (I can't find links worth anything because they blend in so well with the normal text).

There are modules do not published in dev site; in another cases the newer releases is not in dev forge etc. That page needs a deep change (as this).

I really understand that you are very angry.

Anonymous
  • 2007/10/2 7:36

• Anonymous

• Since:

I understand your frustration, too.

Perhaps if you tell us what modules you need to update or would like to use we can help point you in the right direction?

Don't give up!!

MadFish
  • 2007/10/2 9:11

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Please download the Guide to Essential XOOPS modules from here. It recommends mainstream, stable modules to perform most functions, and has links so you don't have to hunt around too much.

Personally, I think there is a need to bundle a few mainstream modules with the core package, to make it easy for new users to get started with XOOPS, or at the very least to make some pre-packaged bundles available on the main download page.

By removing the bundled modules, and with the current state of the repository, it has become unreasonably difficult for new users to find safe reliable modules to begin making their first XOOPS site.

This doc is intended to help overcome this problem, but it is no substitute for having module bundles available or packaged with the core IMHO. I would like to propose this to the council or whoever is responsible, but I do not know how to get suggestions seriously looked at. If someone can help me out with this I would appreciate it.

menochi
  • 2007/10/2 22:58

• menochi

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/28

Quote:
What really bothers me is that the default installation of XOOPS does NOT include the modules that it used to come with.

That is correct.

My recommendation is also the package of Sato San. I think that we have to provide specific module packages. I think there on:

- Community
- Businesses
- Digitally government
- Games
- News
- Schools and Universities
- WEB learning

and many other more. It is clear that many modules or Hacks will be missing but we have to begin the work straight and create solutions in order to offer and use XOOPS seriously within all ranges.
in valid code we trust

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits