tvepsorg
Multiple sites, one shared hosting plan???
  • 2007/9/28 20:26

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Ok, so I have a host where I have a "public_html" folder. I have my domain name pointed towards the ip address of the server via my dns. All works well.

However now I want to host a second site on that same server. I want the new url to point to "public_html/newsite" which will be the root directory for the new site, however I don't know how to point "http://www.newsite.com" to "http://www.oldsite.com/newsite" without all the links on the page showing up like "http://www.oldsite.com/newsite/modules..."

I can do a URL redirect via my DNS, but that will just redirect new site to old site and show the oldsite url

I can do a url frame, via my DNS, but again that will just show the newsite url in the address bar, but all the links will still show oldsite.

I don't care about combining databases as I want them separate, I just don't know how to configure it all with my webhost, xoops, and dns.

Any help would be appreciated.

nekro
Re: Multiple sites, one shared hosting plan???
  • 2007/9/28 23:07

• nekro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/11/9

You have your site in a private paid hosting or you have it in a personal hosting...??? let me now.. and i will try to find a solution!

tvepsorg
  • 2007/9/29 1:27

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

I'm not sure I understand the question. I have the gold hosting plan from canaca.com

script_fu

Maybe the dev was trying to ask if you have root access.

I want to know the answer to your question as well. I have a few domains pointed to my name servers that I have not created accounts for yet.

So I am all setup to go with multi sites as soon as I figure out how to pull it off the domain side of things.

Anyway dot net nuke has a very cool setup for mulit sites. I hope it is going to be something like they have but for php instead.

tvepsorg
  • 2007/9/29 2:14

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

I don't have root access to the server, it's a shared plan. I know it's possible though. Perhaps some sort of .htaccess file or something like that on the server site that points domain requests to a specific folder or something to that effect.

GPboarder

I am facing this same issue. Has there been a solution found, posted?

I am also with Canaca and while I don't control their servers, I have access to the root folders of all of my sites.
Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

trspice
  • 2008/3/5 3:40

• trspice

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/3/24

You have Cpanel which supports 'Add on domains' and the plan you have allows '500 sites'. For each account create an add-on domain from your control panel. The tool is there just look through the list of icons. Set the domains' nameservers to those used by your host before you try to add-on or you will get an error. Once you do this for each then upload a copy of XOOPS to each, create a database for each and install. You won't see oldsite.com/newsite just newsite.com
There's nothing but science....
The Reggae Album

GPboarder

Thanks for the info. In fact that is what I had done but still I ended up with the oldsite.com/newsite in the address.

I can't explain why it is happening, but I have figured the problem. Maybe this will help someone else.

My main site is not an issue.

When I added a domain and then used the Canaca Software service to install XOOPS, I ended up with mainsite.com/newsite in the address.

I manually copied the same files to a different "Add on domain" and did not get the same issue with the address.

Perhaps someone has an explanation. For now, I have found a solution, and that is for me to upload the files manually rather than have Canaca do the install automatically.

This is no slight against Canaca by the way, I am pleased with their service and price.
Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

Login

Who's Online

153 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 153

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits