you two wanna get a room?

Back on topic please...

JMorris
Re: Mr. Theme = P.O.d
  • 2007/9/20 23:29

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Ironically, I was about to post that themes are NOT dependent on XOOPS to function (most anyways). If you take out the SMARTY variables and repoint your image directory and css references, most XOOPS themes function flawlessly.

I cannot speak for any other designer, but the vast majority of themes I did for XOOPS were coded as standard HTML templates, then had the XOOPS variables dropped in during the final steps.

Regardless, images are automatically copyright and that, in itself is enough for a copyright suit UNLESS you packaged the GPL (or compatible) license with your themes.

Still, finding thehttp://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html link puts it in black and white, from the authority, for all to see.

Quite interesting indeed.

Anyone want to take bets on how long it will be before XOOPS gets a huge influx of premium themes?

Very good thread.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

script_fu

Yep your right on that one James. Trust me XOOPS needs more commercial themes...

MadFish
  • 2007/9/21 0:14

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

One thing to bear in mind is the copyright status of the *original* XOOPS theme. Many (most?) themes are hacked versions of that, especially the older ones. It doesn't have a copyright notice (I checked) but it doesn't have to carry one, since copyright is automatic. But what license?

Personally I think the default theme has to be considered an integral part of XOOPS (in that XOOPS won't function without it out of the box) so it would be reasonable to consider it issued under the GPL as per the rest of the software, although maybe this is something worth clarifying (Foundation?).

What I'm saying is that if a new theme is based on the default, I don't think it could be distributed under anything other than the GPL. But if a theme is really written from scratch maybe things are different? Not sure about that.

However, I still think its arguable that a theme is a necessary part of the XOOPS system, not an independant work. A XOOPS theme requires a running XOOPS behind it in order to display/function.

Will_H
  • 2007/9/21 0:21

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
However, I still think its arguable that a theme is a necessary part of the XOOPS system, not an independant work. A XOOPS theme requires a running XOOPS behind it in order to display/function.

I disagree, technically all you need is to declare header/blocks. Boom functional. Not pretty, but functional.

Lets assume that any work in question is not a work based off the default XOOPS theme. This way we can progress without getting hung up on that.

MadFish
  • 2007/9/21 0:35

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I contend that a theme or XOOPS install that is not displaying normally and/or prettily is not functional The intended operation / normal use of the theme (or XOOPS system) should be taken into account (but, that's just my view).

Edit: Happy to be proven wrong by the way. XOOPS desperately needs professional themes, and if that means I have to pay for them I don't mind.

script_fu

A virtual can of worms.

Will_H
  • 2007/9/21 0:44

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

lol, well.

I counter with:

If a work is created by me, design/coding/etc. Is NOT based off of the default or any themes packaged with the core. Then XOOPS codes are added to make it display content that is looped in the XOOPS framework. It does not require XOOPS to function, but can because i have provided that alternative.

Then that is not only my Intellectual Property, but has no bearing on whether or not XOOPS is functional. XOOPS is functional with the default theme. You don't NEED anything else.

Its like buying After Market rims... the car will roll just fine with the stock rims. And just because x brand rims will work for and may have been designed to fit y brand vehicle does not bind these two together lawfully.

script_fu

Will what if you include the html version with the download. You all ready have the full working version before you add XOOPS code. So why not include it?

Then that will stop all the XOOPS needed to work stuff.

aph3x
  • 2007/9/21 1:10

• aph3x

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2004/12/26

themes based/not based on default theme LMAO there is not a person in the world that can prove a theme is/is not based on the default theme shipped with XOOPS. Ask a designer...any designer to write you a 3column minimum images table based layout for a site based on basic block positioning done by XOOPS (did i just summed the default theme!?), and see the result.
Everything I'm not made me everything I am
The Themes

Login

Who's Online

217 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 217

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits