seth_sd
Re: Proposal for new forum structure on xoops.org: Comments invited.
  • 2007/9/5 16:51

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
Quote:

seth_sd wrote:
... Not that posting around here makes you smart but it seems like you would choose someone that is committed to the community,garnered its respect, knows how to communicate with it and has been around for awhile.

Another good reason not to re-register in a new forum. Otherwise we're all back to the status of 'just popping in'.

But, the understanding I have is that this version of NEWBB has been customized and configured in such a way that it is not upgradeable in any reasonable fashion. That leaves you with the same problem no matter what. Unless, somebody has written an export to bring all of this data into the new forums. In that case, it doesn't matter whether it's xoopsinfo.org, forums.xoops.org or whatever it's called.

Seth
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

sailjapan

This thread is due to be closed in 48 hrs.

Please make any summing up statements before that time.

I will add a final synopsis to the thread as soon as is possible after the thread has been closed.

Many thanks to all the contributors to this thread, some very good ideas have been forthcoming, and the overall standard of debate has been very encouraging.

Any final comments?

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

pAraN0iD
  • 2007/9/8 1:37

• pAraN0iD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/16

Just wondering what will be done with the results / who will decide what to do / who will implement the changes?

What is the procedure for this?

kc0maz
  • 2007/9/8 2:13

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

That is a fair question, Christian and myself are working together on this project. We are already making some changes.
Once we are done, it will be approved by the project council and submitted to for public comment.

Please keep in mind, It is the Community Coordinator Team who will need to make it work
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

BlueStocking

Quote:

Please keep in mind, It is the Community Coordinator Team who will need to make it work

GOOD LUCK, and I mean that.!!!

...darcy
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

pAraN0iD
  • 2007/9/8 7:53

• pAraN0iD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/16

Thanks for that, I am glad someone take responsibility for making happen.

BlueStocking

Forum Structure proposal draft:

* CATEGORY (Core)
+ FORUM (Core Related Items)
- SUB FORUM (All Core Related)
@ DESCRIPTION (This fourm is for the benefit of the Core Developers)

* General (Core Issues not discussed elsewhere)
+ Lounge (Core, Teams working on Site Development - Modules Themes etc.)

* Support
+ XOOPS installation  (Read only files for information- public)
+ Core usage (do's and don'ts programing related)
+ Theme usage (do's and don'ts programing related)
@ Users are encouraged to have relevant discussions on community
support sites -
+ Module installation and usage (Read only files for information - public)
@ Users are encouraged to have relevant discussions on community
support sites - general users, like myself, will have not have freedom to post here on xoops.org.

* Share (All core related disscussions)
+ Core hacks and improvement
+ Module review
@ Focus on technical discussion. Users are encouraged to have relevant
usage discussions on community support sites
+ Module hacks and improvements
+ Theme review

* Management
+ Management memo
@ Management memo for teams, only project team members have access
+ XOOPS Council
@ Discussion between users and the Council
+ Coordinator Team
@ Discussion between users and Project Coordinator team; Complaints
are not allowed here
+ Documentation Team
@ Discussion between users and Project Documentation Team
+ Design Team
@ Discussion between users and Project Design Team
+ Core Development Team (placeholder)
@ Discussion between users and Core Development Team

+ Complaints
@ All complaints must be posted and answered in this forum, otherwise
will be considered as invalid
+ Suggestions
@ Feedbacks to the project and official sites

* Archive (Searchable read only archive for existing database)
@ For existent private forums or forums not useful anymore _______________________________ This is how I see it, am I understanding it correctly? Will there be a cut off date for posting on this forum in the near future? There is no Beginners Corner, -- Where is it going to be located? AND what about users that have no particular problem but want to discuss MAYBE becoming users in the future. What about those SHOPPING for services. In the past Module developers and Theme builders answered their questions here in order to maybe develop them as customers on their own sites. Are you planning on a FREE or for FEE sidebar links to XOOPS related services? Thank you, ...darcy
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

sailjapan

Thank you all for your input, this thread is now closed. A summary will be posted shortly.

Crip
Community Coordination Team
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

sailjapan

This is my final summary, and report to the Community Coordination Team (for inclusion in recommendations to be made to the Project Council) on the xoops.org forum thread entitled: Proposal for new forum structure on xoops.org: Comments invited.
(https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=60510&forum=47)

My recommendations are included (in italics) at the end of the report for the Team's consideration.

Section I The Gist. Concerns and issues:
Section II Related but slightly off-topic comments
Section III Conclusions and Recommendations

Section I - The Gist. Concerns and issues:

While the majority of comments submitted to the thread can be summed up as being in broad agreement on a number of points (see below), one of the main areas of doubt and confusion concerns the actual role of xoops.org. Namely, is x.o to play a role in user support. or not.

Several posts stated that, in the writers' opinion, x.o is the natural place for user support and that if the site retains forum categories with titles such as "Support", "Share" and "Complaints" (later proposed to be re-titled "Suggestions"), the site defines itself as a de-facto support site in addition to it's stated role as 'info-hub' or 'Portal' for the XOOPS project.

Another area of confusion, though somewhat assuaged by a number of comments, is the actual identification of those responsible for making and putting into action decisions about the site. Likewise, the identity of those charged with running and maintaining the site once the changes have been made.

One other area that concerns were expressed over was the integration (or otherwise) of the current forums into any new structure. Notifications are used by many of the forum users to keep a track of items of interest and/or expertise, and the possibility of their removal is seen by some to be a step backwards, in as much as their removal might make it more difficult to offer support or keep oneself informed of developments.

Further, the raising of the x.i/x.o division while largely relegated to aesthetics in as much as x.i can easily be redirected to via DNS adjustments if that is the direction the PC feels best to go, has been pointed out as having at least one serious drawback. That of user databases. There is a strong sense of dislike of the idea that using the two sites is going to necessitate multiple log-in names/passwords. Some posts categorically refute x.i.'s "official status", while others (equally categorically) assert it's "official status".

Section II - Related but slightly off-topic comments

Some other worthwhile and interesting suggestions were brought up in this thread. While not directly related to the original title, they nonetheless deserve mention here.

Calls were made for clear identification of official topics for debate. Some contributors to the thread rightly pointed out that this thread needed some form of indication of it's official nature.

The direction of comments in the thread often drifted into the question of the whole make-up of x.o. Several teams reported that they were unable to make contributions despite being charged with a job to do (docs, themes, modules, wiki etc). This was largely put down to there being a perceived lack of trust from the PC, the PC's inability to assign privileges allowing contribution of news items, or even the teams' lack of a contact to whom reports ready for publication can be made.

Some posters called for an official ideas submitting process.

Joomla's site is often proffered as an example of how a x.o. portal might look. It was suggested that a XOOPS wide theme be developed and simple colour variations be employed to distinguish one section from another. There seems to be consensus that "Mor.Pho.GEN.e.sis" should be adapted for use.

Section III - Conclusions and Recommendations:

Before it can make a decision on which forum categories to offer, the Project Council needs to make a policy decision on whether in fact x.o is going to offer mechanisms for entertaining user support requests, or conversely, going to be purely a disseminator of XOOPS related announcements. Once again, we see a lack of clarity about what is "Project" and what is "Community".

Further, the Project Council needs to make prompt, clear and public declarations on the status of x.i and it's future integration or otherwise into the site at x.o. If the PC is going to integrate x.i. into the site at x.o, either as a sub-domain or plain link, it must deal with the issue of the user database. Neither would it make sense to include the "Support", "Share" and "Complaints" categories on x.o. if this is the intention.

I would suggest a forum category be created where new topic creation be available only to members of official teams. Posting permissions would be open to all and the thread initiator would be responsible for it's moderation.
Gaining rights and permissions for teams to put their work in public view is a job for the community coordination team.
The Community Coordination Team has suggested a ticketing system similar to the one used on x.i. Though the availability of forums might make it's initialy proposed purpose of assisting end-users find solutions to problems dispensable, such a system could easily be adapted to include a ticket category for suggestions.
A unified theme and a simple site structure is essential to the future success of XOOPS. and to promote more unification and less fragmentation.

Most contributors to the thread would probably agree on the following:
a) That the pace of discussion and decision making is too slow.
b) That more transparency is needed. Who's doing what and what have they done? (The new monthly PC reports are a good thing.)
c) That there still exists a feeling of alienation bordering on hopelessness as regards Project attention paid to user and team input.
d) That the Project Council needs to address these concerns as a top priority.

Crip (Sail Japan)
Community Coordination Team

Login

Who's Online

159 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 159

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits