jayjay
Re: Proposal for new forum structure on xoops.org: Comments invited.
  • 2007/8/31 8:28

• jayjay

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/10

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
1. Agree with Herve's point about keeping the forum structure as simple as possible:

Quote:
Xoops is made of 5 things, the core, the module, the themes, some hacks and (no) documentation.

I totally agree with this. Moreover, there should be a better naming convention for the corresponding sites:
- core.xoops.org -> core releases and core forum
- modules.xoops.org -> module releases and module forum
- themes.xoops.org -> theme releases and theme forum
- hacks.xoops.org -> hack releases and hack forum
- help.xoops.org -> documentation faq & wiki

These sites should have the same look and feel, but different colour schemes. You may want to look at how they do it at joomla.org.

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
Suggest adding the 'suggestions' forum mentioned previously, and not having a 'complaints' forum (similar thing but think positive!)

Another great suggestion! There is too much negativity already in the XOOPS community.

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
Of course, if xoops.org is going to continue to be core + third party modules then it would be helpful to have a formal decision about it. There is a great deal of confusion about 'community' vs 'project', and these terms are being used in an arbitrary (and frankly, quite unhelpful) manner at the moment.

Realistically, if xoops.org has non-core forums on it then its going to continue to be a community site. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying that the people that are trying to pretend that its 'project only' should stop.

We indeed need clarity about this. I suggest making a hybrid portal site, where users seamlessly move from one site to another. Use different colour schemes and site titles to differentiate between sites, but use the same theme and structure! Again, look at how the friendly people of joomla.org have solved this.

Any other way will just mean more fragmentation! If I'm visiting xoops.org and I don't find a simple way to go to xoopsinfo.com for example, then I would just leave it at that and never come back again. xoops.org should be the portal site, which directs people to the core, modules or themes sites.

Peekay
  • 2007/8/31 9:37

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

This issue about a proposed core change due to incompatibility with a module is currently being discussed both here on xoops.org and on xoopsinfo.com. The result of this is poor support by any standards.

When people evaluating XOOPS realise that to get support they have to consider carefully which website to go to, I doubt if XOOPS will gain any new users at all. If a module gives a blank page, how is a user to know if that's an issue for xoops.org or xoopsinfo.com?.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

davidl2
  • 2007/8/31 9:43

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

jayjay wrote:

We indeed need clarity about this. I suggest making a hybrid portal site, where users seamlessly move from one site to another. Use different colour schemes and site titles to differentiate between sites, but use the same theme and structure! Again, look at how the friendly people of joomla.org have solved this.

This is EXACTLY what has been suggested all along.

People are making their judgements based on the current different designs of the site.

We all have different themes, different layouts etc.

And that is not difficult to fix

sailjapan

Great input one and all. Really!

So if the portal model were to be pursued (bear in mind kc0maz and I are only the messengers) , which theme would people suggest? It should probably be based on the latest "Mor.Pho.GEN.e.sis", wouldn't you say?

What common structures should be considered?

Which site wants which colours

I'm sure those involved with the Skalpa era proposals for a new site have some great ideas up their sleeves. Let's hear them! Let's get it all out in the open

Don't need to open a separate thread for this, do I?

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

kc0maz
  • 2007/8/31 10:18

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
When people evaluating XOOPS realise that to get support they have to consider carefully which website to go to, I doubt if XOOPS will gain any new users at all. If a module gives a blank page, how is a user to know if that's an issue for xoops.org or xoopsinfo.com?.

That is what the Community Coordinators is here for.

If someone comes to Xoops.org with a module issue, We collect try to collect the information the developer needs and present it to Xoopsinfo, Then inform the end-user that their problem is being handled at Xoopsinfo. It might not be a bad idea to give them the name of whoever is taking control of that issue.

We have to do much more than just say "This is the wrong place , go 'here' and try it" Some of people need to be lead by the hand, if that is what it takes, then that is what we will do.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

davidl2
  • 2007/8/31 10:25

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

sailjapan - these issues are already being addressed by members of the original site development team, and the "Project Theme Team"

sailjapan

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
sailjapan - these issues are already being addressed by members of the original site development team, and the "Project Theme Team"

Yup. Thought so. So any news of progress? Any chance we could hear some feedback from them? Can you speak for them, David? Community's chomping on the bit, here
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

seth_sd
  • 2007/8/31 10:44

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:

So, it seems to me that the structure that most people are suggesting for the forums is already in place at xoopsinfo.org. Most would agree that the portal concept where people come to xoops.org and are seamlessly directed to the forum that offers them what they need is the best way to go.

Can we change the discussion to:

1. Who/When is the DNS entry to point forums.xoops.org to xoopsinfo.org going to be made?

2. What theme is going to be utilized on both sites so that the appearance is the same and seamless to the user?

The real issue is that the current hardware and configuration of xoops.org is not supportable going forward right? The foundation owns the hardware and the domain name xoopsinfo.org right?

So, if it were never presented as "xoopsinfo.org" but rather as the new server hosting the forums then we would not have this discussion? Can we all just think about it like that, stop marketing the "xoopsinfo.org" name and put together the implementation team with an expected completion date?

There has been enough discussion, we need action.
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

Peekay
  • 2007/8/31 11:25

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

kc0maz wrote:

We have to do much more than just say "This is the wrong place , go 'here' and try it"

So what would happen in the above mentioned 'GI Joe module Vs XOOPS core incompatibility' case?. Davidl2 has already said this should theoretically be a 'Sourceforge' thread.

I cannot see how any team can possibly monitor every post made. Plus, closing or moving topics after they have been started will destroy the notifications system on both sites.

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:

Most would agree that the portal concept where people come to xoops.org and are seamlessly directed to the forum that offers them what they need is the best way to go.

I agree. But why can't they be seamlessly directed to a forum here on xoops.org? If the forums were clearly defined (the point of this thread), there would be no need to redirect anyone, close anything, or move anything.

The way things are planned, there will be more dis-contiguous discussions on the same topic on 3 websites. As the above example proves, this is already happening now.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

davidl2
  • 2007/8/31 12:37

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

sailjapan wrote:
Quote:

davidl2 wrote:

Yup. Thought so. So any news of progress? Any chance we could hear some feedback from them? Can you speak for them, David? Community's chomping on the bit, here

StudioC is welcomed to give me a chat at any time - and I'm happy to liase where I can - and give some sort of update for the community sites ... on XI of course

Login

Who's Online

91 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 91

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits