wtravel
Re: EFQDirectory 1.0 RC2 Questions/Comments

Hello Jere,

It is easy to follow if we keep using this thread because I use notifications. I noticed your bug report on the development site. I will have a look into this. From the stable release on I will work with patches for bug fixes, which means I will post a collection of fixed files so that users do not need to upload the whole module again. Apart from the patches I will prepare complete module releases.

So for the upcoming 1.0.1 that would mean two files will be available:
1) 1.0.0 => 1.0.1 (patch/upgrade, only modified files)
2) 1.0.1 (full module release)

jfmoore
  • 2007/9/24 23:38

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/6 5

Okay, I'm finally able to play around with it a little more. This time Version 1.0 Final. I'm just going to observe or ask as I come to things:

The extreme flexibility of this module creates issues which wouldn't exist otherwise. For example, since you can create multiple different directories, you can do things like have a business directory and a separate classifieds directory. It seems to me that, in a scenario such as this, it might be confusing to mix subscription types for different directories like these.

I would personally prefer to have separate subscription types for each directory, but I realize, also, that you can't implement everything that the flexibility of efqDir makes desirable. An acceptable, and perhaps easier, alternative would be to make efqDir clonable or to just publish cloning instructions.

I'm really looking forward to the evolution of efqDir.

Jere

jfmoore
  • 2007/9/24 23:53

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

When creating a directory like a business directory or classified ads, you need a LOT of categories, and it would be nice to have a way to create the entire cat/subcat structure at once. Rather than build it into efqDir, though, instructions to create an sql file with Notepad or something similar and then import it would be sufficient. I did this once with mxDir, and it saved a ton of time. Can this be done with efqDir, also?

Jere

jfmoore
  • 2007/9/25 1:04

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

This may turn out to have been a stupid question, but here goes anyway: When you create a new subscription offer, you have to specify a subscription type or level. What is this, and how is it used?

Jere

wtravel

The subscription level determines which priority a listing has with a subscription. For example in the setup three levels are determined: Gold, Silver and Bronze. Gold listings are shown first.
Also the subscription level determines which background colour is used (configurable in css).

Regarding the sql import file, of course this is possible. The question is which would be the easiest format or way to do it. Would it be easier for you to use a pipe seperated file instead of creating the sql statement yourself?

wtravel

Quote:

jfmoore wrote:
The extreme flexibility of this module creates issues which wouldn't exist otherwise. For example, since you can create multiple different directories, you can do things like have a business directory and a separate classifieds directory. It seems to me that, in a scenario such as this, it might be confusing to mix subscription types for different directories like these.

I would personally prefer to have separate subscription types for each directory, but I realize, also, that you can't implement everything that the flexibility of efqDir makes desirable. An acceptable, and perhaps easier, alternative would be to make efqDir clonable or to just publish cloning instructions.
Jere

I think the most logical option is to define subscription types, field types ect for each directory and not mix them. That way you can keep each directory 'clean'.

jfmoore
  • 2007/9/25 15:00

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

Quote:

wtravel wrote:
Regarding the sql import file, of course this is possible. The question is which would be the easiest format or way to do it. Would it be easier for you to use a pipe seperated file instead of creating the sql statement yourself?

As well as I can recall, the way I did it before involved several steps. First, I created the cats in some kind of delimited text format. Then I did several search & replace operations to format it properly.

So, a pipe delimited format would be great and eliminate several intermediate steps.

Jere

jfmoore
  • 2007/9/25 15:04

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

Quote:

wtravel wrote:
Quote:

jfmoore wrote:

Jere

I think the most logical option is to define subscription types, field types ect for each directory and not mix them. That way you can keep each directory 'clean'.

Is that possible now? If so, I need to dig a little deeper.

Jere

jfmoore
  • 2007/9/25 16:14

• jfmoore

• Quite a regular

If you add a subscription type or level and want to remove it, how do you do it?

Jere

wtravel

Quote:

wtravel wrote:
Quote:

Is that possible now? If so, I need to dig a little deeper.

Jere

At the moment not, but I think it would be a great idea to add this functionality .

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits