technobia
Site causes CPU to run at 100% utilization
  • 2007/7/12 6:28

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/17

Xoops 2.0.16 on a Windows 2003 Server running IIS 6.0

I have been running a pretty large site since October of last year. Although it has always taken up a fair amount of resources, all of a sudden 3 days ago it started just hammering the CPU often with 100% utilization for extended period of times.

I have user registration disabled and all comments are disabled in all modules except Xpress (WordPress for Xoops) I have the Protector module loaded and active with banning of IP’s enabled.

I have banned some IP’s at the server level that appeared as suspicious referrers in the website stats. I have also observed visitor stats are normal but bandwidth is up which seems odd. I have run maintenance on and optimized the database.

What I find interesting is that even with the site turned off in the System/Presences, the CPU utilization issue remains the same. It is only when I stop the website in IIS does the CPU go back to normal utilization levels.

I would most appreciate some serious help with this as the site is virtually unusable.
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

Anonymous
Re: Site causes CPU to run at 100% utilization
  • 2007/7/12 8:22

• Anonymous

• Since:

there's a well documentent problem with a Windows file....something like svhost.exe.... google "windows 100% cpu usage" and you'll find this.

It's a problem when connected to the 'net. Happens with me on Windows Vista when using Windows Mail and also happens when on the 'net generally.

One possible sollution is to change "Microsoft Update" to "Windows Update". Doesn't entirely cure the problem but the 100% cpu usage drops after a minute of two.

HTH

technobia
Re: Site causes CPU to run at 100% utilization
  • 2007/7/12 17:50

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/17

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried disabling Windows update entirely and it does not help. I am confused about svchost.exe. I have several incidents of it running, Microsoft says it is necessary but process library says it is a virus.??? (CORRECTION I the virus is svhost.exe NOT svChost.exe.)

Irrespective of that, it is the website itself that is taking up the CPU resources NOT svchost.exe
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

Login

Who's Online

258 user(s) are online (176 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 258

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits