terrion
dev.xoops.org seems to be down
  • 2007/6/27 5:39

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

I'm getting a database error when going to the Development Site.

Just wanted to let people know.
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

ewonline
Re: dev.xoops.org seems to be down
  • 2007/6/30 17:06

• ewonline

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/11/17

Its been fixed since, so alls good.
Resized Image

Shine
  • 2007/7/1 6:51

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Since closing topics is the new moderation policy on Xoops....This topic can be closed since this issue has been solved.

Mudnuts4x4
  • 2007/7/8 19:37

• Mudnuts4x4

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/21

still down
Mudnut

BlueStocking

Hi Shine...
Our discussions so far regarding closing Threads and Topics deals more with NOT closing active threads than it does with generally closing topics or threads.

When a thread has been inactive for a period of time and the information becomes obsolute then it becomes trash fodder if it has no other redeeming value.

Cutting the database down to size for better service ability may need to come from the server side by someone who is very well versed in making sql calls from the database level.

EXAMPLE:
All threads or topics with ZERO replys to original poster posted before 2007 would be first on my list to go.

Of course, that is just my opinion as it stands today. Do you have any suggestions for pearing down the database without losing necessary data?
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

davidl2
  • 2007/7/8 22:37

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Issue is still ongoing

Peekay
  • 2007/7/8 23:20

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
When a thread has been inactive for a period of time and the information becomes obsolute then it becomes trash fodder if it has no other redeeming value.

Close threads by all means, but please do not delete threads under any circumstances. They may have been bookmarked and may (for someone) contain valuable information. I often refer new XOOPS users to threads that are several years old.

The size of the database should not be a problem, even for xoops.org.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

BlueStocking

Quote:

Close threads by all means, but please do not delete threads under any circumstances. They may have been bookmarked and may (for someone) contain valuable information. I often refer new XOOPS users to threads that are several years old.

Peekay,
The do not delete threads "under any circumstances" is no longer optional. Some, indeed many threads are going to have to be deleted to allow for current and future development.

Is it possible that you could provide help in determining what must stay and should be free to go?

According to the header on Support forums - There are Total Topics: 46541 | Total Posts: 216825 to go through, this will be a formidable job.

Certainly not one I would want to tackle by hand alone.

Any cost/effective suggestions?

One I can think of offhand is to go to the web-archive and request a spider.http://www.archive.org/index.php
Quote:

The Internet Archive is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, we provide free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public.

davidl2
  • 2007/7/8 23:46

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Isn't this off topic?

BlueStocking

Peekay,
There was talk but I don't believe anyone actually archived any of it.

@davidl2
I don't think it is to far off topic since it is dev.xoops.org which is a subdirectory of where we are now.
If the database is on overload, we may need to help relieve the pressure.

I wouldn't know but they could be inter-connected.

Are they?

It is just a question, I have no authority in that area except to pose an inquiry.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits