BroHam
Re: Theme kills Xoops - Should Themes be avoided??
  • 2007/6/10 0:01

• BroHam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/31

Quote:
So why do I still use it? Well I know its quirkes. Like my old car, it rattles along but I know when its likely to break down so I just pull over and let it cool down, or just stay in. I can afford a new one, but I've had this car since new. Get the picture. I don't hate it, it just pisses me off every now and then when I need to use it.

I'm not sure you do know its quirks. You should seek support for issues you have with a theme instead of thinking XOOPS is old with bugs. I don't think the white screen you mention is a widespread, common issue. You should probably try to find the cause of the issue, which might be unique to your environment. Maybe you are using themes that are not even intended for your running version of Xoops.

There are many good "mechanics" around this garage that won't steer you wrong. Check your diagnostics.

Troubleshooting should surely explain away the cause of your white screen.
I don't know.

Will_H
  • 2007/6/10 3:21

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Sounds to me like typical issues an inexperienced user would have with XOOPS.

Typically any folder named "res" is a resource folder...

As a theme designer, I am a bit put off by...
Quote:
Theme kills XOOPS - Should Themes be avoided??

In fact its kind of insulting...

If thousands and thousands of people have used this system successfully for over 5 years... maybe its not the car but the driver.

MadFish
  • 2007/6/10 3:41

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Recent themes - please note the themes section of the news, on the front page

zaphmann
  • 2007/6/13 21:29

• zaphmann

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/5/22

Quote:

Biteronboard wrote:
Sounds to me like typical issues an inexperienced user would have with XOOPS.

Typically any folder named "res" is a resource folder...

As a theme designer, I am a bit put off by...
Quote:
Theme kills XOOPS - Should Themes be avoided??

In fact its kind of insulting...

If thousands and thousands of people have used this system successfully for over 5 years... maybe its not the car but the driver.

Hello - as I started this thread with that title i would like to apologise and stress that I do appreciate everyone's efforts and do not want to be insulting. I have since gained some more knowledge of how php code behaves in certain host environments and how conflicts between files written by the CMS (group www) clash with files ftp'd up and owned by the ftp user.

I believe that some of my template problems were in fact php fatal errors and or permissions issues. However, my post was prompted in part by another thread I found in which a full production site (of some years) was brought down by a template change.

Login

Who's Online

184 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 184

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits