snow77
Compatibility of current code with future code
  • 2007/6/8 19:23

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

I want to know if this:

Resized Image

will be compatible with the change XOOPS will have? This was supposed to be the starting point of the code evolving into the XOOPS 2.4 that will no longer exist.

So will all the new xo variables shown in the above image and ones like < {xoImgUrl} >, < {xoAppUrl} >, $theme_name continue in the code? Also will template overriding still exist? Since a change in this would imply a radical change in the themes and templates we make.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

snow77
Re: Compatibility of current code with future code
  • 2007/6/9 1:25

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

I have received a message from JAVesey about what I have posted, instead of answering by PM I'll answer here in case someone else has the same concerns.

I know this post I put is ahead in time, but is due more to because the whole ground we have been standing on has shifted and I can't help feeling a certain nervousness about the future code of XOOPS. Most of you are happy forming teams and there has been great activity with team formation and I think that's great that the XOOPS community unity is being worked on and the positive interest everyone is showing. I am just as positive only maybe not as happy.

I'll continue being a positive member of XOOPS as it's being shown that the XOOPS project will remain one under the same name. I'll also keep my dedication to elaborating themes and contributing to design work projects proposed by the core team or design team. I may not be joining any team right now but that doesn't mean I won't contribute with the same dedication a team member would.

During the past months I've been very involved making part of the restructuring of xoops, assisting the finalization of the addons site on a more official level and on a personal level creating the xoopswiki and xoopsdemo. It's been alot of work and now that all 3 of these sites are close to being inaugurated, I am very happy to have made part in their creation and being able to give them to the XOOPS community. Each site has an excellent set of admins whom are prepared to receive the working teams.

My dedication to XOOPS will be now for themes and templates and I am happy to have gained once again the free time to continue my design studies since the making of those three sites were really absorbing me.

Thank you JAVesey for your concerns and thanks to all the XOOPS community members for keeping the XOOPS project unified.

PS. I'll be bumping my smarty code concerns soon, when the new community site opens
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

davidl2
  • 2007/6/9 6:42

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Keeping the backwards compatibility of the current "live" version of 2.0.16 is definately essential....

I would hope myself that the current potential core developers, who all have experience with module development as well, will have wish to maintain full compatibility.

Originally the plan of Skalpa was to essentially use 2.0.16 as a code base to build up from... and to add those different features that 2.2.x had - but keeping with the more mainstram codebase.

At the moment we have code in existance that could be used to add to 2.0.1x - and add missing features.

Example:

2.0.16 + SmartProfile (based on 2.2 profile features) + SmartBlocks (based on 2.2 block management but improved dramatically) + MP Manager (Lord_Venom - XoopsFrance) + XoopsMexico's improved admin management ....

These features would match up largely with the differences with the two branches. Ok, the code base would be different, but not impossibly different. (Less so as Mith was responsible for the 2 Smartmodules which had their origin in 2.2)

From there we have a base to move forwards ...

Remember - I'm not a programmer! So please don't tell me off if I am wrong with the above

instantzero

Themes and modules compatibility should be discussed even if in our case, we will not disagree to recode our module if it's to bring something better for them.

davidl2
  • 2007/6/9 8:19

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Definately agree with you both.

We do need to remember to ensure we keep compatibility - even if changes and improvements are made.

kris_fr
  • 2007/6/10 10:57

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

These innovations revolutionised the design and the use of the themes. I consider that it is imperative to keep this large vision.
Version 2.4 brought immense tools and a superb concept in the design and the use of the interface visual of Xoops.
We must have standards for this now if we want to have compatible theme between the versions and especially with respect to the modules.

Login

Who's Online

198 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 198

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits