putester
Why don't people host Xoops based sites?
  • 2007/6/5 18:40

• putester

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/18

After a bit of research, I shortlisted dot5hosting.com, hostmonster.com and startlogic.com as options to host my website that is developed using XOOPS 2.0.16 framework.

When I contacted the service providers last night, dot5hosting.com and startlogic.com responded saying they do not allow XOOPS based website on their shared hosting plans.

Would anyone know why that is? Does XOOPS have that severe security issues to compromise other sites in the shared atmosphere? Or is there any other reason for the denail? Just curious to know why.

Both dot5hosting.com and startlogic.com said they are okay running Joomla based sites; I'm contemplating switching to joomla.

Thanks,

vaughan
Re: Why dont people host Xoops based sites?
  • 2007/6/5 18:49

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

dunno.. joomla has it's fair share of exploitation.

surpasshosting support XOOPS & it's their preferred script.

BroHam
  • 2007/6/5 18:55

• BroHam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/31

Did you ask them why and they did not respond in detail. They would be the best ones to answer why they don't allow Xoops, right?

I am curious for the answer, too.
Maybe their techs are less familiar with the XOOPS makeup so they just stick with joomla, etc? Hmmm.
I don't know.

Peekay
  • 2007/6/5 21:07

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I have a VPS now, but none of my previous shared web hosts gave a monkey's ******** what applications I ran. They just gave me web space, a database and an AUP. If these hosts explicitly prohibit Xoops, it will be on their website. If not, then this topic is un-substantiated and should be treated as such.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Anonymous
  • 2007/6/5 21:20

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
I have a VPS now, but none of my previous shared web hosts gave a monkey's ******** what applications I ran.

That's been my experience over the years.

Sure, on cheaper hosting packages I've been restricted as to the file-types I can host (.zip, .mp3, etc) but not the sort of MySQL/php cosing I can run.

putester
Re: Why don't people host Xoops based sites?
  • 2007/6/6 18:47

• putester

• Just popping in

BroHam - your post initiated me to contact them again. You are right, techies on the other side really are not techies.

Dot5Hosting agent first responded that they do not allow XOOPS due to server restrictions. When asked why, the response was that the person thought XOOPS used relational databases which was not supported at dot5.

When conveyed that my site built on XOOPS will only use their MySQL databases, I was told that it will be supported. That was interesting.

At startlogic, they did not know what XOOPS was, in the first place. I gave an overview and directed them to xoops.org. They got back and said 'sorry, we do not support XOOPS based sites'. But they support Mambo, phpbb, phpnuke and wordpress.

When I asked them for the reason, i was directed to their sales department. Yet to hear from their sales; once i do, i'll post it here.

Thanks,

BroHam
  • 2007/6/6 20:43

• BroHam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/31

Interesting.
Will look forward to your update on startlogic. Thanks for the info.
I don't know.

talunceford

I use ixwebhosting. No problems so far.
Tim
www.tswn.com | www.bf2online.com | aquaria.tswn.com | www.bf2142online.org

Chappy
  • 2007/6/7 0:29

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Quote:

Dot5Hosting agent first responded that they do not allow XOOPS due to server restrictions. When asked why, the response was that the person thought XOOPS used relational databases which was not supported at dot5.

When conveyed that my site built on XOOPS will only use their MySQL databases, I was told that it will be supported. That was interesting.

Occasionally, things intervene that show us that Providence was watching out for us. The above quote reflects that such was your situation, putester. Imagine having a host running your web site who forbade relational databases, but - when told that XOOPS used MySQL - said, "Oh, that's okay." Clearly, they missed the idea that MySQL is a relational database.

Similarly with the other host who said:

Quote:
But they support Mambo, phpbb, phpnuke and wordpress.

None of them have particularly better security history than xoops.

Yes, Fate intervened to save you from the Lower Hell of dealing with hosts who have not the slightest idea of the difference between their head and thei.......

My host does a great job and has since 2003 for our site.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

putester
  • 2007/6/7 1:45

• putester

• Just popping in

You right Chappy; I thought how come they could be in technical support when not knowing MySQL is also an RDBMS.

And startlogic sales guys got back to me this evening. Quoting from the communique.

"Xoops appears to be on PHP and MySQL which we both support. Make sure the versions match ours PHP VERSION 4.4.1 and MySQL 4.0.16.

Other than that there should be no reason you couldn't use Xoops"

LOL.

-satheesh

Login

Who's Online

100 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 100

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits