carpeweb
Re: General procedure to add new fields to user profile
  • 2007/5/16 16:38

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/12

I'm stuck!

I'm trying the Formulize/Registration Codes approach, because I just want to add a few simple fields to the registration form.

As far as I can tell, I have installed both modules successfully. (I got the "[module] has been installed successfully" message both times. I can use the Admin CP for both modules, but I really don't know how to use them.)

However, now, when I try to register as a new user, I get a prompt for a registration code, followed by "If you do not have a registration code, you can click here to register for a basic account." The "click here" link leads to an error page:

Quote:
Error: the form cannot be displayed. Does the current group have permission to access the form?

1. I only want Reg Codes (at this time) so that I can modify the registration form, not to create any codes. Is it possible to have Reg Codes installed and still have a registration form that does not prompt for a code first?

2. I only want Formulize for the same reason (at this time), so that I can add fields for first name, last name, street address, etc. to my registration form. Do I have to create a new form in the Admin CP for Formulize and somehow then replace or integrate my existing registration form? I just don't know how to proceed.

3. Lastly, the permission issue implied by the error message (quoted above) has me confused. Is there another block or something that I need to look for and give permission to anonymous users?

I might want to use actual registration codes or custom forms in the future, but right now I just need to customize my registration form to capture different information. I'm building a site for a residential community, so we need to know that users actually live in the community.

Thanks,
Jim

jegelstaff

Hello, sorry you ran into trouble. The basic cause of the error message you found is that you have not given permission to the Registered Users and Anonymous Users group, to access the User Profile form.

If you go into Formulize, and into the Modify Form Access Permissions area, then you should give those two groups view_form, add_own_entry and update_own_entry permission on the User Profile form.

That should resolve that issue.

In general, read the readme file for Registration Codes very carefully, there are several options, and several steps to go through, but once they're done, it works well.

Your second issue about bypassing the "enter your code" screen....

You should change all references in your site that point to "register.php", to point to "register.php?code=nocode" instead. That's the simplest solution. That will take you straight to the form, as it would appear to a user who had entered no code.

I hope this helps, let us know if you run into any other issues.

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

carpeweb
  • 2007/5/22 14:25

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

Thanks, Julian. Great help.

I'm not sure this next question is a Reg Codes / Formulize question or not:

When I view user profiles, I still see the default XOOPS fields (interests, AIM address, etc.), and I don't see the fields I added.

In the Preferences for Formulize, it seems to indicate that the same form will be used for registration and for viewing and editing accounts. Is there somewhere else that I need to change things so that my new registration fields will show up when viewing and editing accounts?

Also, (Advanced Question) is there a way to configure registration approval so that, as site administrator, I can view the registration data before approving? Currently, I have it set up so that I have to approve new registrations, but all I get is an email with an approval link. I can't go in and see what a user has entered in the registration form before I approve, because when I search for users, I can only see approved users. I need a "purgatory", where I can see user registration info before approving (or denying) them.

Thanks!

Jim

jegelstaff

Quote:

carpeweb wrote:
Thanks, Julian. Great help.

You're welcome!

Quote:

When I view user profiles, I still see the default XOOPS fields (interests, AIM address, etc.), and I don't see the fields I added.

Have you replaced the XOOPS core files with the copies from Registration Codes? The most likely explanation is that you have not done that step.

Quote:

Also, (Advanced Question) is there a way to configure registration approval so that, as site administrator, I can view the registration data before approving?

If you have everything setup and working correctly (ie: your custom form is appearing when you go to register a new account), then you as an administrator can go to the user profile form you made, in Formulize. You can view the entries in there just like in any other form.

Formulize/Registration Codes 2.3, just released, adds one additional feature to the approval process: users must confirm their e-mail address, before administrators are notified of the account. This ensures that people actually are typing in their own e-mail address (or at least one they have access to!).

Good luck,

--Julian

preachur
  • 2007/5/22 21:36

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

I am having the same issue. I have replaced the files as instructed, and it still shows the (lousy and generally worthless) standard XOOPS profile fields when viewing the account. (2.0.16)

Xoops really really REALLY needs a new CUSTOMIZABLE core registration and profile system. Extended profiles, SmartProfile, all the hacks.... None of it works to give an XOOPS site a professional customized registration and profile system. The systems that are in place for all versions of XOOPS so far make XOOPS sites confusing and very unprofessional looking to the users. (I have also checked out RC releases of newer XOOPS systems, and alternative systems like XOOPS Cube and SimpleXoops. They don't have any usable solutions either.) I have had many many complaints from both users and clients, and the lack of working options saddens me.

However, if I can get past this one small obstacle, I will say that formulize has (once again) saved the day.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

carpeweb
  • 2007/5/23 0:43

• carpeweb

• Just popping in

Quote:

Have you replaced the XOOPS core files with the copies from Registration Codes? The most likely explanation is that you have not done that step.

Are those identified in the readme PDF(s)? I think I might have deleted that from the server but still have it in the zip file on my PC. I seem to recall moving quite a few files from the module into some of the core folders, so my best answer would be, I think so, but I'll check to make sure.

Quote:

If you have everything setup and working correctly (ie: your custom form is appearing when you go to register a new account), then you as an administrator can go to the user profile form you made, in Formulize. You can view the entries in there just like in any other form.

Well, this tells me that I must have something set up incorrectly, which is good info. I hope it's the core files, because that's pretty easy to fix!

Quote:

Formulize/Registration Codes 2.3, just released, adds one additional feature to the approval process: users must confirm their e-mail address, before administrators are notified of the account. This ensures that people actually are typing in their own e-mail address (or at least one they have access to!).

Validating email addresses is a great feature, but it doesn't quite do everything I need. The membership of this particular web site will be much more restrictive than "have an email address". I guess Reg Codes is the most promising way to go. I was looking for something that would require less for users to remember. (Yes, I anticipate that even a simple code might be a problem with some users!)

I'll let you know if the core files solve the problem.

Thanks,
Jim

preachur
  • 2007/5/28 18:49

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

I HAVE followed the procedure and it is still showing the default profile fields. Any suggestions?
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

vaughan
  • 2007/5/28 20:09

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

smartprofile works fine (altho there are a few small niddly bugs which should be fixed soon)

either way tho, the bug regarding registration and activation key is a simple fix.

you can see it in action athttp://www.g7poo.co.uk click register to see the form.

jegelstaff

@ preachur

Sorry to hear the problem persists. I can't think what would be causing that other than the register.php, edituser.php, userinfo.php and the related system template file not being replaced during install...the reg codes versions of those files simply ignore the default form and use the one you've specified in the Formulize preferences instead.

I am happy to take a look at your site in more detail, including through FTP to check the files, if you are comfortable with that. Let me know.

@ carpeweb

You can make life fairly simple for users by creating a page with links to the register.php file, with the right code added on as a URL parameter. So if you have three classes of users, and each needs to register with their own code, so they see the right questions in the profile form and/or so they are slotted into the right groups, then if you give them links to click on with the code in the URL, they don't have to remember the code, and they can just read the link text and click the one that makes sense for them. ie:

<a href="http://www.yoursite.com/register.php?code=manager">If you are a managerclick here!</a>

<
a href="http://www.yoursite.com/register.php?code=volunteer">If you are a volunteerclick here!</a>

I hope that helps,

--Julian

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits