n01un0
I need some help and advice from the community....
  • 2007/5/18 21:21

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/10/9

I need some help and advice from the community on how best to accomplish something. I do not know if this is something that XOOPS can handle with a module or I need some other script or program to facilitate. I am using XOOPS (2.2.4) for a friends company website and he has posed a task that is beyond my novice ability.

His company has several service guys in the field that fax in a one sheet service report after each call made. What he wants to do is set up a section of the site where his manufacturers can login and view the documents to see that the required tasks are being completed.

Currently the reports are faxed in (using myfax.com so that they arrive via email in either pdf or tif format) and then someone uploads to the website.

What he would like is an automated system rather than an admin having to upload to the website. How would you go about getting this done? Remember, I am a novice when it comes to things so speak slowly and in laymen’s terms, hahaha.

Is there a script or program, for XOOPS or other, out there that can automate this or accomplish this?

He would also like almost a “gallery” with a thumbnail of the document that expanded upon clicking rather than just a text link. Ya I know, he’s sure wants a lot, lol.

Any advice or direction you could give would be GREATLY appreaciated!!

Thanks in advance!

JMorris
Re: I need some help and advice from the community....
  • 2007/5/18 21:30

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

xHelp can support content being emailed in. However, it would take some hacking to setup a thumbnail preview. Another option might be DMS (document management system), but again it might take some hacking to get full functionality.

It might be easier to find a third party script that does what you want and just integrate it into the site.

Maybe one of the programmers in the community will have a better answer for you.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

n01un0
  • 2007/5/20 14:31

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

Thanks JMorris for replying. I am using 2.2.4 so I don't think xhelp is compat. I am ok with using a third party script and incorporate it but I don't know of one.

Any suggestions?

stefan88
  • 2007/5/20 15:58

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

Popnupblog has an option to recieve postings by mail (I have to admit I never used it, so can't say if it works ok ... I'm not shure also about 2.2x compatability) and has thumbnail function ...

So it may worth testing...

n01un0
  • 2007/5/21 12:42

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

Thanks Stefan88

I tried the latest version from bluemoon last night and could not get the email function to work. There are some "directions" on the site on how to set up, but I have to say, they are not very clear. I finally got frustrated and gave up.

I am thinking there has to be a separate third-party non-xoops php, java or some kind of script that can perform what I am needing to do but cannot find it. I searched sourceforge, freshmeat and hotscripts but to be honest, I am not even sure "what" I am looking for when trying to search. I tried several keywords but not having any luck.

Again, if anyone can assist or provide direction on what exactly I need to be looking for when searching, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again to the community for your suggestions so far!!

I know with the great minds and programmers in the community, somehow I will find what I need!!

n01un0
  • 2007/5/29 2:02

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

bump

irmtfan
  • 2007/5/29 2:40

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

i dont think Xhelp can handle your request because its mainly can be use as a Help Desk system but anyway Xhelp > 0.78 is compatible with 2.2+
i use it in my own site.

Login

Who's Online

127 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 127

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits