alfred
Re: SMF forums module?
  • 2007/4/30 12:20

• alfred

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/10/29

Quote:

Marco wrote:
is it normal you did not receive any answer?? that's strictly and definitely not an opensource attitude.

no

Alfred

giba
  • 2007/4/30 12:29

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

This is no normal too.

Xoops 2.0.17 is possible ?

The community not to receive return from it the continuity team dev on related questions.

For this I know that Alfred is not missed. Unhappyly, he is not the ideal one, but it decides the solucita??es of its community and work. If it was heard, would not need to create hacks.

Thanks.

macmend
  • 2007/4/30 13:15

• macmend

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/27

Firstly I just wanted smf, and made a comment about togetherness. Now I see as I try to rebuild my mac website thats its foundation my not be as solid as i thought.

It seems symbolic of XOOPs community(of which I am just a peripheral user who has enjoyed XOOPS as its taught me about php and mysql) that there is a lot of touchyness..talk of forks is obviously a sensitive issue.

as a user i want a slick cool website that works, before i was hacked i had upgraded to 2.23 it knocked out so many modules and hacks it was very difficult, no one warned me.

I started to read the development thread...what a turn off...and sounds like a group needing a conciliation workshop.

Why am I here and commenting, mainly coz i tried the lovely looking Joomla (split from mambo) and it was awful.

in the end you don't need a route map or anything like that you need a simple mission statement and a set of 5-7 aims.

Write those and you may have something to agree on. Perhaps they are already written, then perhaps they should be on the frontside of this site. What is XOOPs really about, what is its purpose. I don't know and I have been using it for 3-4 years.

as a mac user ...if you asked them what mac was about, they could tell you about design, ease of use, community, style and backed by substance. Whats mac for to have fun and its not microsoft.

What could a XOOPs user tell you about XOOPS and the XOOPs community

I have worked in IT for years and never met anyone who is deeply involved in some aspect of information technology who wasn't really on the wierd side, with an ego as big as a house but as fragile as an egg... to accept this in each other is a step towards conciliation, to accept it in ourselves is a step towards synthesis.

Perhaps If you guys treated your developer colleagues as the messiah of XOOPs coding/development instead of (as it seems) everyone thinking they are the hard done by messiah of XOOPS development we might also get a product that rocks.

I know a lot about macs, alot about therapy, alot about motivation and acheivment but nothing about software development or spelling. So I can see the different XOOPs syndicates are not going to lead to a coherent product.
Free Mac Support

Ordinary Wisdom

apache server with php sshexec turned on
xoops version 2.0.18.1 & 2.3.1
php version 5.2.5
mysql version 5.0.45

Marco
  • 2007/4/30 13:38

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

I agree,i've the same vision (except the fact that we don't know what the core is working on), that's what i called the Xoops Manifest.
then the community will be ready to work as a whole
Ready ?
Do synergy or die.

macmend
  • 2007/4/30 14:03

• macmend

• Quite a regular

I am ready to do anything if we can bring everyone, I like your wishlist and the post you pointed out.

My feeling is about these kind of projects you either get it together and i mean togther or you end up with a Stalin taking over , an Invision powerboard, or a as old dog poo on the shoe of the internet.
Free Mac Support

Ordinary Wisdom

php version 5.2.5
mysql version 5.0.45

piroman
  • 2007/5/1 20:08

• piroman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/7 2

Guys, XOOPS is over, even if it active project, it's over since there's downgrade patch. I'm looking for solution to move forward to joomla or some other cms, but I've decided that I'll use smf or phpbb2 as forum. So pls help me get the cbb2smf converter, so I'll go to next stage of my "online life" :)

Pls no hard feelings, I'm stuck with XOOPS for last 6 months and I can't get out...
regs
Piroman

visit our cicihlid gallery:
gallery.ciklidi.org

macmend
  • 2007/5/1 20:38

• macmend

• Quite a regular

smf forums yes thats good, but joomla, I have tried it when you see how easy XOOPS is to install how easy it is to screw up Joomla, how complex the admin area of Joomla, the difficulties i had with joomla were horrendous. I did nothing to my test site came back to look at it a few days later and dozens of files had become corrupt!
Free Mac Support

Ordinary Wisdom

php version 5.2.5
mysql version 5.0.45

piroman
  • 2007/5/1 20:45

• piroman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/7 2

I've been o.k. with my install of joomla, but if you have some other cms to recommend pls do so!

any cbb converter?
regs
Piroman

visit our cicihlid gallery:
gallery.ciklidi.org

lucky_phd
  • 2007/5/2 20:00

• lucky_phd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/13

I must totally agree with Piroman. I'm totally stuck with xoops, and I don't know how to get reed of it. It's nothing personal, but gap between 2.2.3 and 2.0.1 and I lost my patience. So please if there is some one with converter for XOOPS 2.2.3 and cbb 2.3 to smf, help me!
First Serbian flyfishing website
www.musicarenje.org

svaha
  • 2007/5/3 1:54

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Quote:

lucky_phd wrote:
I must totally agree with Piroman. I'm totally stuck with xoops, and I don't know how to get reed of it. It's nothing personal, but gap between 2.2.3 and 2.0.1 and I lost my patience. So please if there is some one with converter for XOOPS 2.2.3 and cbb 2.3 to smf, help me!

I did a conversion of XOOPS 2.2.4 / cbb 3.04 to smf 1.1.2 / tiny portal 0.98 (you can see it here :http://www.alohaspirit.nl)
I did the conversion on my own server at home.
First I downgraded XOOPS 2.2.4 (the downgrade script is here at xoops.org available)
I made a little change in the downgrade script to get user name and real name in the right place.

The conversion for XOOPS to smf is available at simplemachines.org
Here I had the change several things, because the script is written for newbb, not for cbb, it's not that difficult (maybe you will find something on the conversion I did on simplemachines.org)

For the backup/restore of the databases I used mysqldumper. When you have many postings you may have to make multipart backups, because most hosts don't allow more then 10.000 inserts / hour in the database.

Succes.
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits